Author Topic: Death lookup please  (Read 5986 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death lookup please
« Reply #63 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
I assume you have this

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09741/5534955.pdf

Your grandparents wedding - again the father is given as Joseph, a labourer.
Also Thomas is a labourer - where did you get that he is a flexdresser?

Number 44 Dagmar Street unfortunately doesn't have your relatives living in it in 1911 - from the street directorys it has a Henry Barr, Tailer and then in 1918 Hugh McDowell, Tailer - so your grandparents must have been there for a very short time or were lodging with Hugh or Henry

I don't think they were anywhere for a long time.... they had kid in Roscrea, then 1 or 2 in Monaghan, then one Clonmel, then 1 or 2 Coleraine, 1 in Dublin registered Coleraine and then Thomas and Anne in Monaghan.

For a school teacher with young family he didn't seem to teach at any school for any length of time.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Got it from his death cert 1934 died 9 cumberland street flaxdresser

If the Thomas who died at 9 Cumberland Street in 1934 was, as he seems to be, the same Thomas who lived there in 1911, it seems a bit odd (albeit not impossible), that he wasn't living there in 1917, if he is the same Thomas who married Minnie McIntyre.

I was thinking the same thing - how do you know the death cert is for the right person?

There is a Margaret Campbell buried with the above Thomas
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05246/4454032.pdf

And also a John Campbell in 1966 from Randalstown
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=C&GraveNumber=83&CemeteryName=City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension

Where and when did your Grandmother Minnie McIntyre die and do you have her burial?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Obviously the man who lived at 9 Cumberland St never left that address
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Wood_Vale_Ward/Cumberland_Street/163708/

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Number 9 Cumberland street is Empty in 1908, and Thomas Campbell, fitter moves in by 1910
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 14 September 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Wood_Vale_Ward/Cumberland_Street/163708/

These Campells lived  at 9th house that was enumerated on  Cumberland St
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:02 BST (UK) »

These Campells lived  at 9th house that was enumerated on  Cumberland St

Yes, but as well as being the 9th enumerated, it does seem to have also , in this instance, actually been number 9 (I know it isn't always the case), as Thomas and family members are mentioned there in a few newspaper items of timescale.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
With all due respect, hardsocks, I really think you need to start over again from a point/person closest to you yourself, where you are 100% certain of the facts and have documentary evidence to back those up. Then, slowly and steadily work backwards from there, cross referencing as you go. It does seem that possibly assumptions have been made when persons of the same or similar name, in same or similar timescales, could fit and that people have been followed based on those assumptions, thereby creating a tangled web of names that are not necessarily all and the same people. Some threads within the web may have, by good fortune or otherwise, been spun confidently, and strong connections achieved, whilst others were spun hesitantly, and are potentially wrong, hence the overall web is weak.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
To rule the Cumberland Street family in or out I would look for the births of the Children - is the mothers maiden name McCormick?

The children are
Thomas (1887)
John (1895)
James (1899)
Ernest (1902)

I have had a look for Ernest I thought he might be easier to find -as its a rarer name, but I couldn't find one born to Thomas and Margaret

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
A agree with Scotsmum - start from a point of certainty

Ie: your mum or dad - get a copy of there birth certificate - the parents I assume are Thomas Campbell and Minnie McIntyre - what does Thomas do and where are the living at this stage?

Work backwards from this.

All you actually seem to know is the Thomas was a widower when he married your granny - how do you know Margaret was the 1st wife?

Did your mum or dad have step brothers or sisters?