Author Topic: Results in...What now?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Results in...What now?
« on: Thursday 13 September 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
hI, I have just received my results back from Living Dna, only took a month fair play, and am now left with the question of what do I do now!!!...

fatherline:  R-L21 SUBCLADE R-DF13

motherline: J1c SUBCLADE J1c3g

family ancestry:
Great Britain and Ireland 97.3%....

North Wales 71%
Aberdeenshire 3.6%
South Wales 3.4%
South Yorkshire 3.2%
Southeast England 2.8%
Central England 2.5%
South England 2%
North Yorkshire 2%
Cornwall 1.8%
East Anglia 1.8%
Northwest England 1.7%
Lincolnshire 1.5%

Europe (South) 2.7%....

Iberian Peninsula 2.7%

any advice gratefuly received
kind regards
Aled

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RESULTS IN...WHAT NOW?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Depends on what you want to do with it to a certain extent.

I'm still awaiting my livingDNA results, but they are from a free autosomal DNA upload, so I have results elsewhere already.

Ethnicity estimates can be a red herring, and will be ignored by most serious genealogists. Yours appear a lot more detailed than those at ancestry, even with their latest update, but are not necessarily more accurate.

LivingDNA don't currently offer matches to other people as far as I know, but that is supposed to be coming soon, I think.

If you want to match with other 'cousins' and have tested with them rather than uploaded results, I would suggest that you upload your raw DNA to familytreeDNA, Gedmatch etc, so that you can match with other people.

I only know about autosomal DNA testing - other people will be able to advise you re paternal and maternal DNA results.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret, I was'nt sure if these sites, gedmatch etc accepted Living dna..will have a look..thanks again

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
MyHeritage announced very recently that they are accepting uploads from LivingDNA.  This is copied from an e-mail I received yesterday:

However, previously MyHeritage did not support the upload of tests based on the chip called GSA (Global Screening Array), that is used by 23andMe (V5), and by Living DNA. Recent improvements to our DNA algorithms allow us to support DNA data processed on GSA chips, and so we’re happy to update you that MyHeritage now supports 23andMe V5 and Living DNA data uploads, in addition to data uploads from all major DNA testing services, including Ancestry, 23andMe (up to V5) and Family Tree DNA (Family Finder).
Upload your DNA data to MyHeritage now — it’s fast and simple. If you upload now, you will get full access to DNA Matching, Ethnicity Estimates, our industry-leading chromosome browser, and more, for FREE.

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
thank you hurworth, i will give it a try,,,

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
thanks to the advice given here, I uploaded my livingdna file to myheritage and gedmatch, a week later I am still waiting results for gedmatch but have received the myheritage ethnicity estimates which have confused this very proud welshman even more and which read:

English
68.0%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
28.8%

3.2%
East European
3.2%

seems like a totally different dna test to the original ...!!???

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Results in...What now?
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Aled

My English ethnicity % is more on My Heritage than the others. It really depends on the size of  the database and the algorithm that they use. Ancestry has also updated its estimates.

However, as has been said many times, the ethnicity estimates should be taken with a big pinch of salt. DNA matches and their trees (check them!) are the most useful aspect of these tests.

Gadget

Added - just checked and I have 50% Eng; 28% Irish, Welsh. Scottish and 22% Scandinavian on MyHeritage
On Ancestry, it's now - 55% Eng, Wales and NW Europe (mainly N Wales and NW England/Midlands) and 45% Ireland and Scotland - this is closest to my tree findings
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***