Author Topic: Marske and Redcar, local knowledge needed please  (Read 3077 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marske and Redcar, local knowledge needed please
« on: Friday 14 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to several very helpful Rootschatters, I now have one branch of my family traced back to the Marske and Redcar areas ( parish of Marske but described as Redcar on some documents).

On one burial entry in 1783, I have Christopher Gardiner of New Mills. On another, in 1832, Christiana Dove (wife of Joseph Dove of Redcar) of Shields.

I suspect that the Shields bit is actually referring to North Shields, where her married daughter lived and where she might have spent some of her later life but I could be wrong - was there an area/small-holding/hamlet around Redcar called Shields?

New Mills - the only place I can find which might fit is what is now Marske Mill Lane but that is Saltburn not Redcar? In the early 1800s, was there a mill somewhere else in the area which would fit?

Having grown up in Lazenby and spending seven years at school in Redcar, with most of my friends coming from Saltburn, I feel faintly embarrassed at having to ask these questions but in my defence, I left the area in 1969 and have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Any help would be more than welcome. Thanks. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marske and Redcar, local knowledge needed please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
new mills is nr stockport/Glossop area

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
new mills is nr stockport/Glossop area

Yes, I know that one. But this family is from the Redcar/Marske so I wondered if there had been a mill which might have been "new" at the time and therefore locally known by that name. I am pretty certain it is not referring to the New Mills near Glossop.

But thanks anyway. :)

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Having lived in the wider area all my life and this specific area for many years, I must say I have never heard of anywhere in the vicinity called Shields or New Mills. I wondered if the writing was bad on the parish record for Christopher Gardiner but having looked at the image I can see that it quite clearly says New Mills. I wonder if there had been a mistake and it should be New Marske. However, I'm not sure how far back the village of New Marske dates, I know there was mining there in the 19th century but I'm not sure prior to that.

Perhaps New Mills was the name of a farm in the area? There used to be a Marske local forum online that may have been some help but unfortunately I can't find anything now. There's a local historian (and successful businessman) Peter Sotheran who wrote a book about the area so could possibly be some help, not sure how you could contact him but I do know he's a bellringer at St Mark's church in Marske!

I'd be very interested to see if you manage to resolve this. Good luck  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The only one for Marske in the Mills Database is Marske Mill, which I believe is the one you mentioned in Saltburn.

https://millsarchive.org/explore/mills/database

There is mention of a windmill in Redcar:
https://catalogue.millsarchive.org/redcars-ancient-landmark
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Having lived in the wider area all my life and this specific area for many years, I must say I have never heard of anywhere in the vicinity called Shields or New Mills.

I am pretty certain that Shields refers to South Shields. This branch of my family seems to have a Redcar/ South Shields/Tynemouth connection.

I will let you know if I ever establish the whereabouts of New Mills in the Marske area. :)

Offline Juninho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Per Mare Per Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 November 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have lived in Marske for nearly 40 years, born in South Bank. I also would assume Shields to be tyneside. Marske Mill is in Saltburn and I,ve not heard of New Mill but will check some books I have. Just had a chat with my wife who is from Redcar and is unaware of New Mill. We have a class on Wednesday and will ask there. My wife see,s Peter,s wife about once a month and she will pass on the query.
 Not on topic but my wife was a teacher at Lazenby. Small world.
Lowery.Lowrey.Lowry etc-Durham,Northumberland
Stephenson- Durham
Howgego- All
Maughan, Maugham- Durham
Reavley- Durham
Dixon- Durham
Emmerson-Weardale
Rutherford-weardale

Offline Juninho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Per Mare Per Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Unable to find anything on New Mill so far from others at class or from books I have. Will keep on looking.
Lowery.Lowrey.Lowry etc-Durham,Northumberland
Stephenson- Durham
Howgego- All
Maughan, Maugham- Durham
Reavley- Durham
Dixon- Durham
Emmerson-Weardale
Rutherford-weardale

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Unable to find anything on New Mill so far from others at class or from books I have. Will keep on looking.

Thank you for looking. I think it must have been Marske Mill but that locals knew it as "New Mill" at the time. What I am pretty clear on ( at the moment) is that it has nothing to do with New Mills in Derbyshire.

Not on topic but my wife was a teacher at Lazenby. Small world.

Small world indeed, though I left primary school in Lazenby in 1962!!! ;D ;D