Author Topic: can anyone decipher Medal Rolls?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Lama Su

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone decipher Medal Rolls?
« on: Saturday 15 September 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
Can anyone decipher the information on this card?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone decipher Medal Rolls?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

What you have is the Medal Index Card. The Medal Rolls are a different type of document.

Arthur McKenzie, Private 7545, 2nd Battalion West Riding Regiment.
Shows entitlement to Victory Medal, British War Medal and the 1914 Star. There is a later claim to the Clasp & Roses for the 1914 Star.

The references against each medal are for the Regimental Medal Rolls documents. The documents will be at The National Archives, and may be available on Ancestry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914_Star

A clasp was instituted in 1919, as published in Army Order no. 361 of 16 October 1919. The clasp, together with two small silver roses, was awarded to those who had served under fire or who had operated within range of enemy mobile artillery in France or Belgium during the period between 5 August and 22 November 1914. Altogether 378,000 medals were awarded. Approximately 145,000 clasps were issued, although the exact number is unknown since the clasp had to be claimed personally by the recipients, of whom a large number had either died before 1919 or neglected to apply.

When the ribbon bar alone was worn, recipients of the clasp to the medal wore a small silver rosette button on the ribbon bar.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
If I may add a little.
His service number and battalion indicate he was a pre-war regular who had joined in 1903.
The card also shows he was a POW.  His POW record is here:
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2581087/3/2/
The only info they give is that he was captured at Mons right at the beginning of the war and that he was in a POW Camp at Doberitz.
MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
When the ribbon bar alone was worn, recipients of the clasp to the medal wore a small silver rosette button on the ribbon bar.

And a warm welcome to Rootschat from me.

Just to add a small note: the rosette for the ribbon on the ribbon bar was to show that it was for the 1914 Star, rather than the 1914-15 Star which had an identical ribbon.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lama Su

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 18 05:55 BST (UK) »
Great!  Thanks everyone for your expertise!

Offline Paula Noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
To - Lama Su / KGarrad / MaxD , etc - Regarding ' Sept 2018 ' Post -  Deciphering Medal Roll Cards ' - for ' ARTHUR MCKENZIE / WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT '.
Arthur McKenzie was one of my 2X Great Uncles - The brother of Driver / Private James McKenzie ( RASC / IASC / RAVC ) and Herbert W McKenzie ( WEST RIDING REGIMENT )

I HV yet to hire a Medal Card Roll Researcher ' - to get clarification on Roll Page Numbers + the Medals - that all 3 recieved for their service in the Great War / 1914 To 1918
I hv no money for the next couple of months to pay for Medal Roll Researcher
# TO ' LAMA SU ' - HOW ARE YOU RELATED TO # ARTHUR MCKENZIE ??
Back in the Summer - I had found James + wife Edith McKenzie ' Records - Immigration / 1940 US Census + James McKenzie's ' Death Record 1948 - Edith died a few years earlier - I HV not been able to find ' Current Living Relatives in the US or UK.
The other brother - Thomas - he may have signed up for ' War Service ' in 1915 - I HV not been able to find ' Medal Card Index ' for him
Thomas briefly stayed in Ontario in 1931 - went back to England - married Alice Maud Bell - they had a daughter, Maggie - they emigrated to Ontario permanently - had two more children ??
Alice died in 1954 and Thomas died in the 1980s - son , Thomas born + died as a Newborn baby in Oct 1925..
I HV not been able to find Maggie - I need to find ' Current Living Relatives ' for TV Drama + Charity Memorial based on James McKenzie's ' Great War Letters.

Regards

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
a James McKenzie Army Veterinary Corps medal card is at the National Archives:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3838962 which you can look at free.  Click of "Preview an image of this record" and you will see a small image of 6 medal cards which you can zoom in on and read.  Does not list ASC though.

You haven't given any more info about Thomas.  Can you just make a simple list of the names you haven't got info for, I want to be sure which people you are talking about.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Lama Su

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for military records for:

James McKenzie (1862-1942), and his 5 sons;
James Andrew McKenzie (1884-1948),
Arthur Ranskill McKenzie (1885-1955),
Herbert White McKenzie (1897-?)
Thomas F McKenzie (1899-1982)
Leonard A. McKenzie (1904-1975)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
To - Lama Su / KGarrad / MaxD , etc - Regarding ' Sept 2018 ' Post -  Deciphering Medal Roll Cards ' - for ' ARTHUR MCKENZIE / WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT '.
Arthur McKenzie was one of my 2X Great Uncles - The brother of Driver / Private James McKenzie ( RASC / IASC / RAVC ) and Herbert W McKenzie ( WEST RIDING REGIMENT )

I HV yet to hire a Medal Card Roll Researcher ' - to get clarification on Roll Page Numbers + the Medals - that all 3 recieved for their service in the Great War / 1914 To 1918
I hv no money for the next couple of months to pay for Medal Roll Researcher
# TO ' LAMA SU ' - HOW ARE YOU RELATED TO # ARTHUR MCKENZIE ??
Back in the Summer - I had found James + wife Edith McKenzie ' Records - Immigration / 1940 US Census + James McKenzie's ' Death Record 1948 - Edith died a few years earlier - I HV not been able to find ' Current Living Relatives in the US or UK.
The other brother - Thomas - he may have signed up for ' War Service ' in 1915 - I HV not been able to find ' Medal Card Index ' for him
Thomas briefly stayed in Ontario in 1931 - went back to England - married Alice Maud Bell - they had a daughter, Maggie - they emigrated to Ontario permanently - had two more children ??
Alice died in 1954 and Thomas died in the 1980s - son , Thomas born + died as a Newborn baby in Oct 1925..
I HV not been able to find Maggie - I need to find ' Current Living Relatives ' for TV Drama + Charity Memorial based on James McKenzie's ' Great War Letters.

Regards

Hi Paula and welcome to RootsChat....you need to remove your email address and phone number as it is against RootsChat privacy policy. You can send a personal message by clicking on the text icon beneath the poster's name.
Carol

As you have now removed your details the above message no longer applies

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU