Author Topic: The Brays and Polkinghornes of Bodmin  (Read 1056 times)

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Brays and Polkinghornes of Bodmin
« on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
I keep coming back to this important part of my tree and hit the same brick wall every time. A direct ancestor is William Bray born 1801 in Bodmin to John and Elizabeth. If my information is correct, his brother Richard was Town Clerk of Bodmin for some years, but it is John and Elizabeth I am interested in. She was born Elizabeth Polkinghorne in around 1771 and at her marriage to John Bray 2/12/1792 in Bodmin was shown as being "of this parish". Canīt find her anywhere. I had John as perhaps being born around 1767, but am working on the theory that he may have been the John born to Richard Bray and Rebecca Blake 12/12/1762 in Bodmin. If anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction I will be extremely grateful.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Brays and Polkinghornes of Bodmin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Cornwall OPC site has Elizabeth Polkinghorne, daughter of Thomas, baptised Kenwyn, 28 June 1772. A possible?

Elizabeth Polkinghorne, daughter of George, baptised 24 May 1769,Kenwyn. Another?

I acknowledge Kenwyn to Bodmin perhaps too far. (26 miles)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 September 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
She was born Elizabeth Polkinghorne in around 1771 and at her marriage to John Bray 2/12/1792 in Bodmin was shown as being "of this parish".

Where does the c1771 birth come from?  Is it on a marriage or burial record, or a census?

"Of this parish" confirms residence, but not necessarily birthplace, so Brentor boy's Kenwyn finds are possibles.  A fuzzysearch on Cornwall OPC for Polkinghorn and Polkinhorn throws up other more distant possibles.  I didn't see burials in Bodmin to suggest local families.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
more than one Bray family with John & Elizabeth but older than one given in original post

Elizabeth Bray aged 84 of St. Nicholas St buried 20 April 1844 widow of John

Elizabeth Bray aged 86 of Fore Street buried 17 Nov 1846 widow of John

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Iīm always amazed at the speed of the replies on Rootschat - very much appreciated. 1771 was an approximate dob for Elizabeth; she could, of course, have been born much earlier. As she didnīt marry John until 1791 itīs also possible that it could have been a second marriage for her, but this isnīt indicated in the Parish Register. Either death could be hers, though the Elizabeth shown living in Fore St. in 1841 has her son William, aged 40, with her and this could be my William though he is shown as a Cordwainer and I have him in later censuses as a Tin Streamer.

Iīm surprised that, as his brother Richard was Town Clerk for a long time, there seems to be so little information online about Richard. Iīd been hoping to discover his parentage on someoneīs family tree!