Author Topic: Tracing Thomas McCabe's grave in Glasgow  (Read 1381 times)

Offline mary smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Thomas McCabe's grave in Glasgow
« on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Thomas McCabe, died in 1921 in the Victoria Infirmary Glasgow.  His home address is given as Logie Street, Govan.  I have tried everything I know to trace his grave (and my grandmother's) including asking the Mitchell Library's staff do a search.  Since my grandparents were Catholics, I thought they would be buried in either St Kentigern's or St Peter's Dalbeth, but there are no matches for their names there either.  Does anyone know if there is an unmarked section for the poor?  (I know my grandfather worked but, since he died in his early fifties, they may not have had money for the funeral).  Perhaps someone local or/and Catholic might have some ideas.  Tahnkyou in advance.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Thomas McCabe's grave in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
I would assume everyone buried during that era would be recorded regardless of which type of grave?

Can you tell us your g/mothers name with maiden name, where/when she died & who were the informants on both deaths?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
Just noticed it's your 1st post, welcome to rootschat  ;)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline mary smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Annie, I don't quite know if this is how I answer your post.  I have copies of both death certificates, very detailed, but as to the burials, so far there has been a total blank.  As I said, even the Mitchell can't find them with all the details supplied.  I don't want to put ALL the details here but Thomas died in 1921 and Alice, his wife in 1929.  I say 'his wife' but she married again and her name at death was Alice Drain - but she STILL can't be traced by anyone.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
I'd start by looking to see which RC church was the nearest to their address on the death cert. In my experience even if they didn't have a graveyard attached to the church so there wont be a burial register, as funerals were a religious ceremony most RC churches would keep a register of funerals.

Then I'd ask the priest of he has the Funeral Register for that year (or if it has been deposited with an archive , could he tell you where) and if he would look to see if their funeral mass took place there -
'sometimes' the church had its own churchyard and they may be in there,  but by 1921 its more likely that they would have been buried in a civil cemetery.

The funeral register 'may' have a note saying where the burial took place its hit and miss, some I have seen do and some don't.

Long shot, but as you seem to have run out of other options its worth a try? Even if the priest can't provide the info you want, he may be able to point you in the right direction for someone who can?

Boo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching the local newspaper(s) for a death notice? sometimes funeral details might be mentioned.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Did a family member either son/daughter register Thomas' death?

If so & the family member dealt with the funeral, could he be buried near to where they lived?

Were Thomas' parents buried in Scotland, could he be buried with/beside them?

Annie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
St Anthony's RC church has no graveyard but does have a website! could be buried in the Southern Necropolis?

Skoosh.

Offline mary smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies.  I'll carry through on your advice.  Can someone tell me how to answer to an individual comment on here.