Author Topic: Copley of Bredon, Wordestershire  (Read 7378 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Copley of Bredon, Wordestershire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Don't know, but I have seen hatchments where there have been multiple wives and they are shown either side of the husband - but even then there doesn't't seem to be a specific pattern to follow.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:40 BST (UK) »

Not sure what the correct protocol would be for displaying the arms of his 2 wives?

The wife's arms are placed on the sinister (right-hand) side, unless she was of much higher rank then her husband, in which case her arms were placed on the dexter (left-hand) side.

My knowledge of heraldry is limited but should it not be other way round? Sinister = left; dexter = right. (I have difficulty telling right from left in English.)
Cowban

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
My knowledge of heraldry is limited but should it not be other way round? Sinister = left; dexter = right. (I have difficulty telling right from left in English.)
The terms sinister and dexter are defined from the point of view of the imaginary wearer of the shield.

So the wearer's left (sinister) is the right as you look at the arms, and vice versa.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for you contributions, and my apologies for the spelling mistake in the title.

As is noted the arms on either side fit with the known information about his wives.

I have noted KGarrad's suggestions on the main armorial. They don't fit geographically, but that's part of the challenge.   

As additional info, VCH Worcestershire says Copley bought Bredon in 1571. I have seen somewhere in a comment relating to the purchase that he was of Bedings in Suffolk. That is repeated in the pedigree in the Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 (Harleian Soc Vol 27) where his father is given as of "Bedings [for Bedingfield] in "Suff."

I do however wonder if Bedings might instead be Woolbeding in Sussex which would possibly fit better geographically. It would not be the first time "Suff" for Sussex became Suffolk. I need to check the original Harleian manuscripts and the Patent Roll ref given by VCH.

Finally I must warn everone that whilst there is much data on early Copley pedigrees, much of it is unsubstantiated rubbish! I've also seen it said, as I dig around on this particular topic, that Thomas Copley went to America with Raleigh and is responsible for introducing the potato to the Vale of Evesham. 

Offline Nancy1234

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 April 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
 johnxyz - You mentioned that you would like to check the original Harleian manuscripts and the Patent Roll ref given by VCH.  Were you able to do that, and if so did you get any additional information?  Thank you