Author Topic: Death look-up Indiana David Redman 1868  (Read 1206 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Death look-up Indiana David Redman 1868
« on: Sunday 16 September 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
David Redman was born in the UK 11 Dec 1909. Emigrated with family 1820. From Posey County Documented History 1815-1900  he died in 1868. However, I can find no death record on the  ancestry sites I visited.  I also have an extract of a  copy  from a Library in Indiana of an article in The Courier 10 October 1882  given by his son Joel. He alleges his step mother, Elizabeth Davis who was David's fourth wife married 1868,  told him his father  was poisoned by her son Jake Davis, Joel  confronted Jake who admitted the deed  and shot and killed him and served 6 years of a 10 year sentence. I have contacted libraries in Indiana but nothing has been forthcoming as yet.

That is the background. I have posted on the Redman family in U.S in 2013 when I started here and 2015, but to add links I feel would cloud the issue as at present my sole focus is on David no other family members. In trying to be brief I have probably  omitted facts about David that may or may not be relevant, for which I apologise. 

I feel sure this would have been reported somewhere, or maybe a coroners report but I am at a loss as to where to look. Being in the U.K makes this more difficult.   Any suggestions would be gratefully received or maybe someone from Indiana visits this Board. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death look-up Indiana David Redman 1868
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
It's unlikely you will find a death record for him, registration on a county level in Indiana did not begin until 1882 and on a state level 1900.

His untimely death may have made the papers should they still exist, but if Elizabeth simply confided to his son Joel about her son Jake and did not report his possible murder to the local sheriff then no one would be the wiser.
Families who had farms often set aside an area as a burial ground and simply buried their dead.

ADDED The trial of Joel Redman would have made the papers

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
It's unlikely you will find a death record for him, registration on a county level in Indiana did not begin until 1882 and on a state level 1900.
ADDED The trial of Joel Redman would have made the papers

Thank you. Yes I have many newspaper reports on Joel Redman.  It didn't make a trial as he was sprung from jail and killed by a lynch mob.  However, much was written about this evil man and I have transcripts of 2 interviews with him whilst he was in jail. One mentioned that he  killed his step-brother for poisoning his father David. . However, as you say this obviously was not reported.  Just hoped to find details of the death which could have given cause of death as poisoning. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »

Have checked through newspapers for 1868 but sadly no articles relating to David Redman . 

Haven't read thru previous threads so not entirely sure this guy belonged to your Redmans  :-\
There was one article  2 January 1868 (The Plymouth Democrat - page 2)  for a John Redman who attacked a sheriff (Shannon) when he went to lock the prisoners in there cells. Sheriff warned him to release him but not being obeyed shot him thru the heart, instantly killing him   :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »

Haven't read thru previous threads so not entirely sure this guy belonged to your Redmans  :-\
There was one article  2 January 1868 (The Plymouth Democrat - page 2)  for a John Redman who attacked a sheriff (Shannon) when he went to lock the prisoners in there cells. Sheriff warned him to release him but not being obeyed shot him thru the heart, instantly killing him   :-\

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. Yes he is one of mine. Half brother to my 2nd Great Grandfather. No John's in my tree in UK or US.