Author Topic: Richard Jones 1841 & 1851 census  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jones 1841 & 1851 census
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 September 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
At that time Donnngton  Wood was a chapelry in Lilleshall Parish and part of Newport RD.

I have spent some time in Wellington Library looking at old maps and directories of Wellington. I have now established that Cottage Row was in modern day  Market Street (previously called Butcher's  Lane).

Dark Street is a bit of mystery. The only reference  I have been able to find is in the 1841 census. I have not located it on any town plans of the time or found it named in any directories. It is worth saying that New Street, which today is Wellington's main shopping street, was much longer at the time of the 1841 census, including modern day High Street and extending as far as the junction with King Street.

The description  of the ED in which Dark Street is showing in 1841 has this; " All that part of the parish of Wellington comprising the North side of New Street from the King's Head to Mr Garbutt's House including the Banyards and all the Courts and Rows adjoining".

Although I have yet to pinpoint Dark Street exactly on a map I am still very much of the opinion that the 1841 Richard Jones in Dark Street is yours.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jones 1841 & 1851 census
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 September 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for the latest information especially looking at the library at old maps etc..  I am not convinced that the Dark St family is Emmanuels because there doesn't seem to a birth of an Emmanuel in that family and it is his line that is a part of mine.  What I cannot understand is why I cannot find them on the various census?  The occupation tailor / nailor is problematic and I wonder whether I have transcribed it correctly for Emmanuel. I think it is tailor, and she was a bag mender, I assume these are cloth or felted bags?

best wishes
Bronwen

Richard Jones husband of Ann Edwards
b.1790 Feb 21 Condover, Shropshire, Eng.
m.1807 Jan 1 Ann Edwards Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire, Eng (reg.)
d.1880?
O:Nailer
Census
1851 Richard Jones nailor living at New Street, aged 71
1881 census died?

Ann Edwards wife of Richard Jones mother of Emmanuel Jones
b.1789 May 31 baptism, All saints, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng.
m.1807 Jan 1 Richard Jones, Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire, Eng.(reg.)
d.
Children 3
1813 Jan 13 Emmanuel Jones, Wellington, Shropshire, Eng. (1812)
1822 Sarah Jones
1824 Emma Jones
1827 Richard Jones (nailor in 1851 census living at New St)
Census
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh