Author Topic: George Dean who Married Elizabeth Young In Goxhill In 1771  (Read 605 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Dean who Married Elizabeth Young In Goxhill In 1771
« on: Monday 17 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above person was one of my 5x great granddad's. He married Elizabeth Young in Goxhill, on the 9th of May 1771.

I am struggling to find a baptism for my George Dean:
I originally thought that my George was baptised 1752 in keelby. I then found out that the one baptised in that year in Keelby, married Elizabeth Bennett, in Brocklesby in 1769. He was buried in 1831 in Keelby, and his age is consistent with a baptism year of 1752. That George had all of his children baptised in Keelby also.

I will explain why I know that my George Dean married Elizabeth Young:
My 4x great granddad, Richard Dean (1783-1840), son of George Dean and Elizabeth (nee Young), had a brother called Alexander.
Alexander was baptised in 1777 in Goxhill. He married Susannah Spaulding, in Kirmington in January 1810. On the register, he was put down as: "of Thornton Curtis." Alexander was buried in Goxhill in 1840.
Anyway, in 1829 there are articles in the local newspapers, relating to David (some articles give his name as Daniel) Grant, being accused of Housebreaking from his Cousin Alexander Dean of Thornton Curtis. He was acquitted of the crime in September 1829. Two articles state that he was a cousin of Alexander Dean's.
David Grant lived in Hull at this time. He was a Mariner who only had one arm, and was often in the papers for crimes he committed. He was transported to Van Diemens Land in 1832.
His age at transportation is consistent with a baptism year of 1783, and he was baptised in Goxhill on the 25th of May 1783. This David Grant was a son of David Grant (snr), and Honor Young (1746-1819), who were married in 1780 in Goxhill. Honor was a sibling of Elizabeth Young, baptised in February 1748 in Goxhill, who married George Dean. Both were daughters of Richard Young and Mary Neeve.

Elizabeth Dean (nee Young) was buried at Goxhill, on the 4th of October 1826. Her age at burial is only out by one year from what her age would have been from baptism. Her abode was "Thornton College". In 1807 a George Dean "of Thornton College" was buried in Goxhill. This is very likely the George Dean, husband of Elizabeth. But unfortunately there is no age put on the burial register of George. The couple had a son called George, baptised in Goxhill in 1775 (which by the way is the first of their child that I can find), but that one was buried in 1844 in Goxhill.
I may possibly find one or two more before 1775, but at the moment these are all the children born from the couple I can find and were all baptised in Goxhill:

George - 1775
Alexander - 1777
William - 1780
Richard - 1783
Mary - 1790

Anyway, that is the big introduction. I know that my George was not baptised in Keelby in 1752.
I have looked at other possibles:
There was one baptised 1744 in Keelby, the son of a William and a Mary. But that one married Mary Brown in 1785 in Keelby and was buried in 1796.
There was one baptised in Thoresway in 1750. But that one was buried in 1753.

The closest one to Goxhill that I can find is one baptised in 1741 in Fotherby, near Louth. I suppose that is possible. But this is 28 miles away from Goxhill.
The next closest was one baptised in 1748 in Lea, (near Gainsborough?).

Aside from these two above you have to go a bit further away. There were also George Deans baptised:
 1747 - In Asgardby by Sleaford.
1747 - In Grantham.

There was a George Dean baptised in 1756 in Dunston. But given the fact that he was married in 1771, can I probably rule that one out?

When George married Elizabeth, he was put down as "of the parish of Goxhill." I know that this could mean that he only had to stay in residence at that parish for a short time. It did not have anything to do with where he was born.
There was a marriage of a William Dean in 1759 in Goxhill who was "of the parish of Knottingley, Pontefract". I did look for baptisms of a George Dean around that area but was not successful.

I apologise for the long winded introduction.

If anyone has any ideas about where my George Dean was born and baptised I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Dean who Married Elizabeth Young In Goxhill In 1771
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Okay. It appears I am now able to state that my George Dean was baptised in 1741 in Fotherby.
What fogged me was that the family appeared to have moved around a lot:

His father was Alexander Dean, and his mother was an Elizabeth. I could not find a marriage in Lincolnshire between the pair on Find My Past.
However, I did find one at Misterton, Nottinghamshire on the 8th of March 1738:
Alexander Dean "of West Stockwith", Yorkshire and Elizabeth Hodgson. Incidentally, West Stockwith is not too far away from Pontefract. So there may possibly be some slight connection between the Dean "of Knottingley, Pontefract" who married in 1759 in Goxhill. Anyway:
In Misterton, they had one child:
Elizabeth - baptised 29th of July 1739.

Then the family moved to Fotherby, near Louth and had:
George - bap Dec 13 1741.
Ann - 1743.
Sarah - 1744.

Then they moved to Habrough. This is only 4 miles from Goxhill, and had:
Ruth (transcribed as "Kath") - 1745.
Edward - (1747-1748).
Alexander (1749)
Jane (1751-1755)
Thomas (1757)
Edward (1758-1758)
Elizabeth "wife of Alexander Dean" was buried in Habrough on the 14th of August 1758. This was around two days after Edward Dean was baptised.
Edward Dean "son of Alexander" was buried one month later in Habrough.
In 1764 Ann "daughter of Alexander Dean" was buried in Habrough. This would be the Ann who was baptised in 1743 in Fotherby.
In 1780, Alexander Dean "of East Halton" married Mary Petch in Goxhill.
My estimation is that this was Alexander junior, who was baptised on the 2nd of January 1749.
This may be the same Alexander who was buried in East Halton in 1826. His age as transcribed on the burial on Find My Past is only out by one year or so from his baptism year.

Finally, Alexander (senior) Dean "widower and farmer, aged 85" was buried in Habrough on April the 29th 1792.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)