Author Topic: Smart Meter question  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Meter question
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
I will ring and tell them I don’t want one and put my foot down if they try the hard sell.

I declined a Smart Meter too but I would save yourself the pennies for the call as you haven't asked for a Smart Meter i.e. you don't need to remind them  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
So you think I should carry on ignoring their letters, perhaps that’s the best idea just keep them guessing and wasting their time and postage  ;D

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
We have refused a smart meter too. Got a mail shot last week but just ignored it - gone into the paper recycle bin - best place for it.

Friends had one installed a couple of years ago and it drove them nuts watching the thing birl around so it is now living in a drawer.

Ignore all letters, emails and phone calls ;D ;D

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dorrie, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one against having a smart meter.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
I don't want one either!
Someone told me there will be no choice but to change, I tried to read the link but I have adblocker and it cut in as I was readng about this.
I don't understand how it will save so much money because I'm always turning things off and not using standby etc. All the lights are now energy saving ones but they are so dull and LED's are so expensive. I wash clothes at low temperatures and don't have a dishwasher, don't even use the hairdryer/styler  as much as I used to, so I can't see what else I can do!!
rayard.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
I don't want one either!
Someone told me there will be no choice but to change
rayard.

You definitely don't have to have one. My supplier contacted me by telephone earlier this year to say that my electricity meter was due to be changed and that they would take the opportunity to change the gas meter at the same time and put in a smart meter. I refused , very firmly , and they just changed the electricity meter for a new digital one. I wouldn't dream of having one as they are not compatible if you want to switch suppliers and people have had problems with them not being accurate.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt in on this but I wouldn't bother replying to their letters or phoning them.  It won't stop them pestering you in the future.  (Been there, done that!).

In another property we have, we use a different energy supplier, and have just been offered £30 if we have a smart meter installed!  Our answer was still NO WAY!

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine53!!
That is such a relief. I know that might sound silly but I really don't want to change. The meter reader said they have to call regularly anyway to check the meters!
One good tip if you have to take your own reading but can't bend or reach, is to take a picture with the phone or tablet if you have one!!
rayard.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
I really seem to have stirred things up with this. I did wonder if I was making myself look a right fool posting in the first place.

I don’t see any advantage to me in switching, if I need power I use it. If I don’t I turn it off. I’m not going to spend my life wondering about the cost every time I want to watch tv or whatever.

They can carry on sending letters, I will carry on putting them in the recycling.

Many thanks and regards to you all for your comments, I appreciate them all.