Author Topic: Smart Meter question  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smart Meter question
« on: Monday 17 September 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
I have received another letter from my electricity provider trying to pressure me into having a smart meter. As I do not want one I have been ignoring their letters.

They ask in the letter to call them if I do not want a smart meter at this time but I am wary of doing that as the phone number is the same as for booking an appointment to have one installed.

Has anyone phoned to say they don't want one?

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Meter question
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
I received communications via email and also telephone.  Finally said to the telephone operator, after yet again saying  I don't want one - asked if they could take number off the call list.  This seems to have worked - so far.

The email message had a place to click to say I did not want one.  Again, this seems to have worked.

Surely, as long as you don't agree a date or time during the telephone call, then they won't turn up.  It's probably a call centre that takes all incoming calls.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
We had one installed several years ago & the monitor lives in the kitchen, it's been very useful. At one point we noticed the daily usage had suddenly increased, this went on for some days with us checking all the electrical appliances but not a clue - till OH remembered he'd plugged the caravan into the mains electric so I could hoover it out & the caravan central heating was still on  :o ::)

For us the smart meter seems to have been a good idea.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
I told them on the phone.
Tell them not to use your personal data to send you anything about smart meters. If they still do so it then becomes a breach of the Data Protection Act.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I will ring them tomorrow.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
           " For us the smart meter seems to have been a good idea.

Pat "

I think a change of OH would have been a far better idea  ;D ;D ;D

It's actually a piece of junk. My unit resides in the junk drawer.  Just where the

vast majority of consumers put theirs. The smart meters cost the consumer a

fortune just because some Politician fell for the spiel from the suppliers. Money

which could have been better spent on improving services and reducing the bills

of the consumer.   In fact just like these useless windmills, another con trick.

More power to your elbow, Retriever. :D :D :D :D

P.S.  Smart meters automatically send readings to energy firms via a wireless signal
Estimated cost of rolling out smart meters has gone from £11bn to nearer £20bn
This would wipe out all the savings households were promised they would make
If the £9bn cost is passed on in full, it would add £300 on to every bill by 2030

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:59 BST (UK) »

This also makes interesting reading:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/six-reasons-say-no-smart-meter/

Have a nice day :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Get a barge pole and don't touch a smart meter with it.  Everything ever written says don't get one.  They are unreliable, ultimately cost you more, and make it difficult to change providers (which you should consider every year or two.)

Martin (who sells a lot of Grade A, bargain-priced, top quality barge poles.  P&P extra)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who doesn’t want or need one. I already have a digital meter, have no trouble reading it and letting them know if their estimates are out.

I will ring and tell them I don’t want one and put my foot down if they try the hard sell.

Regards