Author Topic: Smart Meter question  (Read 7667 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Meter question
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks from me too, I did not want one and refused ,have not had any more
communications ,but it is good to know your initial instinct to refuse one
was not as daft as some tried to make out it was.
Viktoria.

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 September 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
I THINK I've managed to make my supplier realise I don't want one when I scrolled right down to the bottom of the email  and found an Opt Out button.  This took me to a page asking me why but with a box to tick if I didn't want to say !!!!!

Anyway Ive not had a call/email for 2 weeks so fingers crossed.

BUT Im now being bombarded with emails telling me Id save money if I went with dual fuel from them.  They already know I don't have gas to the property  :-)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 September 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
I haven’t given them my email address luckily as their letters are irritating enough.

They have tried ringing me although I don’t remember giving my home phone number, but as their number is not in my contacts list my call blocker phone won’t put them through.

Why they don’t accept that as I don’t respond to their calls or letters I really don’t have any intention of having a smart meter I do not know.

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 September 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
You probably gave your telephone number when you signed up with them in the first place?  I found myself in a similar situation with one of the other utilities companies!

Personally, I don't mind the email - it seems easy enough to opt out or unsubscribe.

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 September 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
The post has just arrived, with it is an "appointment to fit a smart meter in 3 weeks time", I've never asked for a meter and don't want one, so I'll politely decline their offer.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 September 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, perhaps that’s the new tactic.

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 September 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
We did not have a choice to have smart meters fitted outside so that they could dial them up for meter readings.  This was a condition of moving to a cheaper electric company.  We live on a farm.  Our domestic and business meters were fitted by different companies.  The one works well, when we switch they have no problem downloading the correct meter readings.  The domestic one was fitted by e.on and no one has managed to access it two companies later.  On top of that the blessed thing gives you very little time to write the numbers down and taking a picture of it is nearly impossible as the numerals are so thin and fill the screen so the 9 looks like a 4 if you are not careful. :-\
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 September 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have been following this thread with interest, as we had an appointment to have a smart meter fitted recently. Hubby arranged it, I wasn't bothered about having one or not. Reading this thread made me think that it probably was not such a wise move, but also that you don't lose anything as you can just hide the hand held devise and carry on as you did before. So I wasn't too bothered.

Have now had it for a few days. Cant say it will make any difference to our fuel consumption as we would turn off lights etc anyway. But it is quite interesting to see how the consumption varies through the day.
Our one gripe is that the little devise has to be plugged in - battery only lasts an hour - so we will be using electricity for that!
That is, until the novelty wears off and it gets put in the drawer like everyone elses!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 September 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Smart meter fitted yesterday, OH decided to go ahead and get one, i wasn’t bothered as i, like others see no benfit. Instead of taking an hour the installer was here two and a half hours trying to get the gas meter to connect to the display. in the end he said to leave it (understandably he had other appointments to go to) and it may right itself. if not give them a call.
needless to say it hasn’t righted itself and although the gas is being registered as being used it isn’t showing on our display. The purpose, to my mind of having a smart meter is seeing how much is used, which with the gas at the moment we can’t! I thought OH was going to explode when waiting for a phone call back (within 10 minutes, they said, but after 40 minutes he was still waiting).
They didn’t waste any time in sending through a customer satifaction questionaire though! OH isn’t filling it in until everything is sorted.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor