Author Topic: Mystery in Canterbury 1851 plus  (Read 1787 times)

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery in Canterbury 1851 plus
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Salty,

Some info on Edward Whitman.

He married 12 March 1904 at St Andrew's church, Deal to Rebecca Taylor Pittock. Both were aged 26. He was a Stoker (probably at the Gas works) living at Culross House, College Road and was the son of Edward James Whitman, Photographer.
Rebecca was a laundress living at 2, Enfield Road and the daughter of Henry William Pittock, Labourer.
Witnesses were John Harvey Pittock and Harriet Ann Pittock.

They had three children baptised at St Andrew's:

11/3/1905 (born 26/10/04) Edward Harold while living at 8, Nelson Street
12/6/1909 (24/5/09) Robert James while living at 86, College Road
4/11/1912 (26/9/12) Frederick Charles while living at 97, West Street

Kind regards
AJ

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
I do apologise AVM228, it was the children who changed their name and all married using the surname Whitman.
His wife Fanny's death cert gives the name Fanny Jane Whitman Hitchcock. When they married she was plain Mrs Hitchcock.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
John In Sussex,

Yes, I have thought of that, but sadly we will never know.  :(
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
AJ100

Thank you, I have all the info on the Whitman family. Edward Whitman HITCHCOCK's three children all married in Deal under the surname Whitman giving the father Edward Whitman HITCHCOCK's occupation as a Photographer. But gave his name as Edward WHITMAN.

The eldest son Edward James HITCHCOCK (WHITMAN) married Rebecca Taylor PITTOCK in 1904.

Yes he was a Stoker, not locally but in the Royal Navy where he remained until after WW1. He was a Chief Stoker when he retired.

Thank you for your interest.
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
redtonyt,

Thank you again, very much appreciated.

Salty
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Got the certificate today and it confirms Jane HITCHCOCK, the mother of Edward Whitman HITCHCOCK.
Only just though, as I was hoping that it was either one of her parents who registered no it was an Ann HOOKER who was present at death of Saint Peters ???? Canterbury.

It states that Jane is the daughter of Henry HITCHCOCK a Photographic Artist. Which would be right as he has given his occupation as a Portrait Painter in the census.

Jane address looks like Northgate Street, Northgate, where she died on the twentieth of ????? February 1861

What I cannot work out at all is the cause of death, it is "P......... P............... Diseased Bowels Not Certified".

I was going to put an insert in here but for some reason I cannot do it. Will have to try separately.

At least thanks very much to you lovely people, I have found her, even though its tragedy with her son only 15.

Salty
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
No matter what I try, I cannot insert the scan  :-\
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock