Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Floppy Disks.  (Read 2541 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Floppy Disks
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I may try that out for small files, for ease of access, or double-banking backup, but realise that few will be able to read them if they do not have the same bit of kit.
Still interested in access to old files.
A

You always have the option of opening an old file (e.g. a Word document) and saving it using "file"  "save as" in a newer format.

I agree with Martin - USB memory sticks are small, cheap and can hold several gigabytes.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I may try that out for small files, for ease of access, or double-banking backup, but realise that few will be able to read them if they do not have the same bit of kit.
Still interested in access to old files.
A

You could of course just Copy them and Save them onto your Computer...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Ainslie, the data isn't 'XP format'  XP was the version of Windows that you once used.  The files will be in the format of the application software that you used at the time, to create the data.  The file name extension, the bit after the dot in the name, will help you know what format of data you have.  For example '.doc' will probably be a word processor document, '.xls' will be a spreadsheet.  Modern versions of the software that you used to create the data will usually open the older data.

Also consider using USB stick drives, they are large capacity and are getting very cheap.

Was your "plug-in gadget " for reading the 3.5" floppies?  It should probably work with your new PC if it uses a USB socket, the small flat type.

Martin

As well as the file format, there's also the disk format to consider. I think floppy disks had a version of the FAT format whereas today it's more typically NTFS although you do seem to get the option of NTFS or FAT when formatting some flash drives.

I see from a subsequent post it has worked, but is it the OS or the drive controller that needs to be able to read the old FAT type of disk format? I presume it would be both to some extent?

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
The gadget has the USB connector and plugs in to the laptop.  I then look for A Drive, find word files and can open them, but only in restricted view, ie not editable unless I do some fiddling.
Sorry, but FAT and NTFS do not mean anything to me!
A

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
When you edit them why not just save them to you computer and not need to fiddle around with them each time?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Good point.  I am learning all the time.
A

Online AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
The gadget has the USB connector and plugs in to the laptop.  I then look for A Drive, find word files and can open them, but only in restricted view, ie not editable unless I do some fiddling.
Sorry, but FAT and NTFS do not mean anything to me!
A

No worries, I saw you got it working, was just curious as to how these things work at a lower level.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is the piece of kit Ainslie has . . . . .
External Packard Bell PB-UFD100  USB Floppy Disk Drive
Google it for full details of specification, etc..     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
As well as the file format, there's also the disk format to consider. I think floppy disks had a version of the FAT format whereas today it's more typically NTFS although you do seem to get the option of NTFS or FAT when formatting some flash drives.
Virtually every box under the sun can cope with FAT formatting.

As a lowest-common-denominator, all brands still contain the necessary code to read and write the things. All Windows, Linux and even Apple boxes (from the first Mac onwards) can sort out a FAT formatted floppy, provided there is a drive to read it in.

If you can see a list of filenames, you should be able to copy the contents to somewhere more modern and reliable.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.