Author Topic: ARTHUR, Leon - British Columbia  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
ARTHUR, Leon - British Columbia
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I am looking to see if I can find more information about a Leon Arthur.  The minimal information I have indicates that Leon is deceased although I do not have specific dates or locations.

I have found death records for Leonard Arthur in 1974 and Leonard Palmer Arthur in 1993.  I have identified parents, spouses and spouses' parents for both of them but from this information it appears that neither of them is the Leon Arthur I am looking for.

What I do know is that a son of Leon Arthur married Christina Hastings who was born in Mission in 1952 and died in Powell River in 2006.  Christina's parents were Robert Noel Hastings (born in 1917 and died in Gibsons in 1995) and Ruby Mary Wright (born in 1933 in Mission and died in 1993 in Sechelt).  These dates and locations may give some context for Leon.

I have details for Ruby's parents and grandparents and this family is not the connection I am looking for.

Robert's death record lists both parents as unknown.  The informant is G. Arthur.

I am interested in identifying any other candidates for Leon apart from the two Leonards mentioned above and potentially identifying Leon's spouse if also deceased to establish a link to my paternal grandmother’s family.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ARTHUR, Leon - British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
You don't indicate where the two Leonard Arthurs passed away.  In the Canadian Voters' Lists, there is a Leon G. Arthur in Gibsons in 1972, a millworker, along with a Mrs. Gwen Arthur, housewife.  In the 1963 list, he is Leon S. Arthur, wife's name is still Gwen.   He is a pulp tester.   They are in Gibsons as late as 1974 (the latest list available).  No grown children shown with them at any time.   On the 1974 list, there is a Gordon Arthur listed as living alone in Gibsons, working as a deck hand.

Reference in the local newspaper in Gibsons of Mr. & Mrs. Leon Arthur celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday, March 31, 1990 (page 18):

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/bcnewspapers/xcoastnews/items/1.0176088#p17z-3r0f:%22leon%20arthur%22

I can't find the marriage in the online BC records, so they may have married elsewhere.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Found obit for a daugher of Leon and Gwen -- dated January 1 1990 -- Sandra Nims (nee Arthur), passed away December 28, 1989 in Penticton, BC.  Born 1941 in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, grew up in Gibsons. Beloved elder daughter of Leon and Gwen Arthur. Sister to G. and S.  Her children and grandchildren are named:

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/bcnewspapers/xcoastnews/items/1.0176082#p14z-2r0f:%22gordon%20arthur%22
(page 15)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
1949 Voters' List has Leon and Gwen in East Liverpool, Nova Scotia. He is listed as a restaurateur.

Leon's birth in 1915:

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1915-90600419&Event=birth&ID=328886

Online tree has Leon deceased in 2008 in Sechelt, the son of John Parkinson Arthur and Blanche Jane Jewer.  Wife Hellen Gwendolyn Griffin, deceased in 1998.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  This information has been helpful.

I have posted seeking more information about Robert Noel Hastings here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800704

Offline Wilsonj73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 22 07:53 BST (UK) »
Leon Graham Arthur is my grandfather, Gwen is my Grnadmother, and Christina Hastings was my aunt. How can I help?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
What surnames are you trying to connect to?  Might help in a search.

Perhaps Sandra could look up the obituary for a Henry Dixon Arthur 28 Oct 1968 in the Vancouver Sun.  His list of children show Lome (misspelling of Leon?) and other.  Wife Christina.  Suggest that because in the 1921 cenus for Vancouver there is a Henry Arthur 29, with wife Mary C? also 29 with a one year old Leonard born BC and an older sibling and that name I can't make out.

Have you the obituary for Christina in 2006 Powell River?  Does that give any information?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 22 20:33 BST (UK) »

Obituary - Henry Arthur Dixon - The Vancouver Sun
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 28 Oct 1968, Mon    Page 33

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/106753074/henry-arthur-dixon-28-october-1968/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 22 20:54 BST (UK) »
Leon Graham Arthur is my grandfather, Gwen is my Grnadmother, and Christina Hastings was my aunt. How can I help?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I was looking to find how this family connected to mine.

Contact with a family member on another forum has answered that question. I am happy to discuss further through private messaging if you would like.