Author Topic: Trying to find where Wallis Cottages & Barkers Cottages in South Shields were  (Read 1455 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find where Wallis Cottages & Barkers Cottages in South Shields were
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 05:04 BST (UK) »
The Grove. Sadly a car park today.  :'(

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=54.9864&lon=-1.4247&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Paul, I have not looked into the addresses but keep in mind that it may be that Wallis Cottages and Barker's Cottages are names of rows of houses. Sometimes you see this with a "terrace" too, or example, an address might be "X Terrace, Smith Street". So these may not be what you may imagine a cottage to look like, and they may not be marked on any maps.   :)

A closer look at the censuses should at least be able to give you an idea whereabouts they are, or were.

Ruskie, Many thanks for that. I came across this before trying to find a "X" Terrace in Gateshead and unable to locate it but with the help of RootsChat I was advised that it was common for a row of houses on a main street to be called different to the main street, my instance was Frank Terrace which was situated on Sunderland road. I now have a photograph of a house with both names on. Once you know this information you start seeing examples all over the place. My brother lives on a main road and just before him are 2 rows of terrace houses, both with their own names. So yes I think the cottages could have been rows of cottages on a main street/road.
Many thanks for your assistance. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find where Wallis Cottages & Barkers Cottages in South Shields were
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 05:06 BST (UK) »
Barkers' Cottages were on Harton Road.
From the Shields Daily News - Wednesday 20 May 1885

Stan

Stan, once again so many thanks for your continual assistance in finding out information for me, where you drag everything up from amazes me, but I am grateful. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields