Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 10037 times)

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #171 on: Monday 24 December 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
 :)

oh so hopefully he was happy,   I loved his dogs.

and his plimsoles.

xin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
John Hurt's grandfather Walter Lord Brown was born to London parents. Now here is an Anc tree which has Walter's family listed. Not sure how accurate it is but one Anc tree says his gran was Sarah Lewington, and Sarah had a brother with Campbell as a middle name, which could indicate a family name. So John may have Scottish roots.

The Walter Lord Browne has been documented on WDYTYA, but as the title of this thread goes, the Lewington connection may be Ancestry tree rubbish.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 13:52 GMT (UK) »
They do make mistakes and a little thought and checking should give you the right answers.  People who just copy are not really interested - its just a little hobby.  I have on one tree gone back to 1605 and it has taken time checking and rechecking hints that are sometimes wrong.  I have a family born married, had children and died all in Nottinghamshire and I know it is all correct.  If a hint says somewhere else - its wrong and Anc should know that!!  Off topic another annoying thing Anc Private Messages.  "You have a ........  Can we exchange info and help each other".  Gladly and, and .....??
Got what they want and thats it.  So no longer bother answering them.  If I get stuck I come on Rootschat and maybe help others as well.

Have a Great New Year.

Steve62
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes

I 'met' a cousin on Ancestry and helped her .... for weeks .. all going swimmingly and today She has privatised her tree and gone!! taken what she needed and gone.. so sad..

xin

Offline Colin Lamb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I have stopped contacting anyone on Ancestry.

I met two distant Cousins via Ancestry and we each helped each other then they both petered out.

Others I sent info to and they have used said info and even downloaded the family images I had posted without so much as a ... may I or thankyou.