Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 66997 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
Only 2 sources? They need more verification to be certain.   ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Friday 03 May 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
There are some parishes that have changed counties. Along the Devon/Dorset border, and along the Gloucestershire/Wiltshire border are two that I am aware of. And wasn't Bournemouth in Hampshire at one point?

Since I've spent most of my life in Canada, my knowledge of UK geography is pretty poor considering I was born there!  To try to save myself some embarrassment on Ancestry, I purchased a Britain & Ireland map from Nat'l Geographic, and have it on the wall next to my PC workstation.  It has helped a lot when something looked improbable - i.e. movement between counties, birthplaces of children, etc.  It's not perfect, because it's modern, but better than just guessing.

Loving this thread!

Ms_C

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
I use Google Earth a lot, (the free to download version for PC's). I find it very helpful to track distances between places.
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Re Edward's reply #384, baptism 420 years after birth. I'll raise you 200 years. ;D  A tree I saw this week - woman born shortly before 1300; baptism 1934. The baptism was LDS (Mormon) so there is no suggestion that the person was present at the ceremony.
Curious that the man in Edward's post remained in Suffolk all his life and only went to Cambridge for his post-mortem baptism. I wonder what was happening in Manea, Cambridge in 1830?
Cowban

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
Did she have any children?

I cannot believe that we have got to 1089 posts and 22,563 views and we have only just started  :)

OK, so who can find someone being baptised more than 420 years after birth?
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Saturday 04 May 19 03:19 BST (UK) »
I use Google Earth a lot, (the free to download version for PC's). I find it very helpful to track distances between places.
I wouldn't put too much store in Google Earth for accuracy.  There have been many complaints here in Australia from tourists using it. Both in terms of distance and actual accuracy on their maps.
I looked for an alternate route recently using Google maps and ended up on a dirt track to nowhere. Yet the map said it was a road right through.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Saturday 04 May 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't use it for navigation, the power lead on my PC just isn't long enough  ;)

I just use it to help with relationships between places, it can help with possible ancestor tracking.

I have a good old fashioned road atlas and satnav in the car, also lucky that I know a good deal of the UK from travelling around.
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Saturday 04 May 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
I looked for an alternate route recently using Google maps and ended up on a dirt track to nowhere. Yet the map said it was a road right through.

Try the Great Central Road, Geraldton to Townsville.  The middle section makes dirt tracks look luxurious, and it certainly feels like it's going nowhere :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Sunday 05 May 19 03:18 BST (UK) »

Try the Great Central Road, Geraldton to Townsville.  The middle section makes dirt tracks look luxurious, and it certainly feels like it's going nowhere :D

Carol
Dirt tracks aren't really a problem just Google Maps telling me it went right through instead ending up in a paddock.