Author Topic: Egerton Burgess and back to Egerton!  (Read 848 times)

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egerton Burgess and back to Egerton!
« on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a message/hint on Roots Chat from another member I have been following a branch of my family but have come to a halt and one that I'm not sure I can get round. I'm hoping that the experts on here can maybe give me some pointers: 

Emily Egerton b1906 Halton Lodge Cottages. Father Fred Egerton Mother Mary Ellen Cooper.

Fred Egerton c1868 Woodhouses Frodsham. Father James Egerton Mother Sarah Littlemore

James Egerton c1832 Swanlow Lane Winsford. Mother Anne Egerton "single woman" on baptism record.  Also his sister Maria Egerton c1830 again mother Anne Egerton "single woman" on baptism record.

Anne Egerton c1811 possibly Church Minshull. 

Anne Egerton married a John Burgess  30th December 1835 in Church Minshull. Witnesses were a Charles Egerton and a John Briscall. No other details on the parish register ie fathers names or professions.
I have found Anne Burgess nee Egerton living in Church Minshull with her husband John and 3 of the children named as Egertons and 4 named as Burgess on the 1841 census. 
I'm having problems tracking them after this census.  This is where I need help and would appreciate any pointers.

Just a wee bit of background on the family.......
On the 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census my GG Grandfather James Egerton was named as Burgess, this was when he was living in Frodsham. When he married Sarah Littlemore in 1859 he used the name Egerton.  My G Grandfather Fred Egerton was named as Burgess on the 1871 and 1881 census but again he used the name Egerton when he married Mary Ellen Cooper in 1892. My grandmother, Emily Egerton was always named as an Egerton as were all her brothers and sisters.

My thoughts are that James Egerton was born out of wedlock, father unknown as there is no name of a father on his baptism record?
I am going to have a difficult time finding out who Anne Egertons father/family were? Is this where this branch ends?
Sorry if I haven't explained things too well, I tend to get myself tied in knots! Thanks for reading.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Egerton Burgess and back to Egerton!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
I have found Anne Burgess nee Egerton living in Church Minshull with her husband John and 3 of the children named as Egertons and 4 named as Burgess on the 1841 census. 
I'm having problems tracking them after this census.  This is where I need help and would appreciate any pointers.

FamilySearch has two baptisms after 1841 in Church Minshull for children of John & Ann BURGESS: Charles bapt 28 May 1843 and Ellen bapt 11 May 1845.
GRO has Charles' birth Jun qtr 1843 Nantwich vol 19 p150 and Ellen's birth Jun qtr 1845 Nantwich vol 19 p151. (both BURGESS mmn EGERTON)

This isn't much, but it proves Ann was alive in Church Minshull in 1845 and could add two more names to help in the search for the family.

Philip

(ADDED) For the benefit of other Rootschatters - 1841 census:
John BURGESS, 50, brickmaker
Anne BURGESS 30
William BURGESS 5
John BURGESS 3  (birth registered 1838)
Anne BURGESS 2  (birth registered 1839)
n/k BURGESS 5wks (probably Mary, birth registered 1841)
Thomas BURGESS 12
Maria EGERTON 11
James EGERTON 8
Ellen EGERTON 9mo.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
This could be the 1841 in question as transcribed

John Burgess 50
Anne Burgess 30
William " 5
John " 3
Anne " 2
N K " 5 weeks
Thomas " 12
Maria Egerton 11 - baptism 17 Feb 1830 mother Ann Egerton
James " 5
Ellen " 9 months

So quite a mixed bag there. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Are you looking to trace them all - William Burgess age 15 in 1851 is a farm servant

Ann Burgess daughter age 11 in 1851 is with

Ann Burgess 56 head widow - all her details have a line through on the census for some reason
Mary " 9 daughter
Charles " 7 son

Mary is married by 1861
Charles is a servant in 1861
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
I am going to have a difficult time finding out who Anne Egertons father/family were? Is this where this branch ends?

Familysearch has a possible in Church Minshull:
Parents John & Mary EGERTON
Samuel bapt 27 Mar 1807
Charles bapt 20 Mar 1808
Samuel bapt 27 Mar 1808
Mary bapt 4 Feb 1809
Joseph bapt 3 Sep 1809
Mary bapt 4 Feb 1810

This could take a little untangling and cross-checking as the dates look suspicious - there might be two families, but my instinct is it's the same family with some incorrect years entered.  Given that a Charles EGERTON witnessed Anne's marriage in 1835 it does look interesting.

Philip

(ADDED)
There's a possible marriage 10 miles from Church Minshull:
Marriage 31 Aug 1807 Sandbach, Cheshire - John EGERTON & Ann BALL

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
Ann Burgess daughter age 11 in 1851 is with
Ann Burgess 56 head widow - all her details have a line through on the census for some reason
Mary " 9 daughter
Charles " 7 son

I'm puzzled by this one.  Ann's age given as 56 is far away from the (rounded) age 30 on the 1841 census.  But Mary and Charles match.  And why the crossing through?  Very odd.

There are possible deaths for Ann BURGESS:
Dec qtr 1860 Nantwich vol 8a p189 age 50
Dec qtr 1861 Nantwich vol 8a p204 age 57

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has a possible in Church Minshull:
Parents John & Mary EGERTON
Samuel bapt 27 Mar 1807
Charles bapt 20 Mar 1808
Samuel bapt 27 Mar 1808
Mary bapt 4 Feb 1809
Joseph bapt 3 Sep 1809
Mary bapt 4 Feb 1810

This could take a little untangling and cross-checking as the dates look suspicious - there might be two families, but my instinct is it's the same family with some incorrect years entered.  Given that a Charles EGERTON witnessed Anne's marriage in 1835 it does look interesting.

Philip

I have seen the same thing in Cheshire records on FamilySearch, the same baptisms occurring with dates that differ by one year or sometimes one month.  I think it's probably down to some anomaly in the way the records were computerized many years ago.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
Regarding the "Ellen Egerton age 9mo" in 1841, FamilySearch has a burial in Church Minshull, complete with register image:
June 29th 1843 Ellen daughter of Martha Egerton, residence Wood Green, age 2.

So perhaps Martha needs following up.  If Martha was a sister to Anne, perhaps some of the other children were hers too?  And perhaps Martha had died or otherwise couldn't keep the children.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Redrose 59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, many thanks for all your help and input. I certainly agree thats it's going to take some untangling.  I have found 6 Egerton families on the 1841 census in Church Minshull!

Lots for me to think about and research.

My main focus is Anne Egerton c1811 as she appears to be the direct line to follow. But without all the other family members it's hard to be sure if I'm going up the correct line.

The Martha Egerton and Ellen Egerton is another interesting "link" as I have found Martha Egerton aged 35 at Church Minshull Hall on the 1841 census, I think she is a servant. But there is also a Mary Burgess aged 13 aswell.
I'm puzzled why Anne would be named on the baptism record of Maria and James Egerton as a single woman if she wasn't their mother?

Once again many thanks for all your suggestions and help. I really do appreciate it. If there is any other advise that you think might be useful please let me know. I'm hoping to be able to come down to Cheshire ( I live in Scotland ) later this year so maybe a visit to the records office in Chester might be useful? Any tips on what I should be looking for there?

Thanks.
Lynn