Author Topic: Help with an ancestor from Wigtown?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an ancestor from Wigtown?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Just found the Wigtownshire pages on another site:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com:80/~ainsty/index.html

It might have something

added - oh dear, while searching I found this posted on FB by Wig Free Press:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/SWFreePress/

MAJOR INCIDENT DECLARED

A major incident has now been declared in Dumfries and Galloway due to Storm Ali. The region has seen significant disruption due to the high winds.

Due to the number of incidents currently being reported to Police Scotland and Dumfries and Galloway Council and the threat to life these incidents present, the decision has been made to call a major incident.

Right across the region we have numerous roads blocked, significant structural damage to several buildings, power cuts and this in turn has placed a huge demand on all services.

We are now advising drivers to delay their journeys where possible.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hope everyone keeps safe  :-\

Cedar, confused about something on dates. As Ruskie mentioned earlier, have you got a photo or transcription of the grave you found where James was buried with wife Elizabeth McCraken.

Something is not quite right. Marriage of James to Elizabeth Armstrong you have from the OPRs in 1817:

I have no other info on James or Elizabeth other than the fact that they were married on October 30th, 1817 in Portpatrick.

Saw this entry on www.findagrave.com/memorial/167950032/eliabeth-mcpherson which shows:

Also Elizabeth McCracken Spouse to James McPHERSON Portospittal who died the 11th Decr 1825 aged 45 years Also the said James McPHERSON who died 3d March 1827 aged 37 years

Port O Spittal Bay is located in Portpartick Parish.

This James looks to have been married up to 1825. Can't see how this is your James who married in 1817  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
I think the OP has the info on burial, Monica

SP has marriage as 1815 - I checked the image.

Thanks for parish for P o S - it seemed to be in Stoneykirk on the map that I looked at.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hope everyone keeps safe  :-\

Cedar, confused about something on dates. As Ruskie mentioned earlier, have you got a photo or transcription of the grave you found where James was buried with wife Elizabeth McCraken.

Something is not quite right. Marriage of James to Elizabeth Armstrong you have from the OPRs in 1817:

I have no other info on James or Elizabeth other than the fact that they were married on October 30th, 1817 in Portpatrick.

Saw this entry on www.findagrave.com/memorial/167950032/eliabeth-mcpherson which shows:

Also Elizabeth McCracken Spouse to James McPHERSON Portospittal who died the 11th Decr 1825 aged 45 years Also the said James McPHERSON who died 3d March 1827 aged 37 years

Port O Spittal Bay is located in Portpartick Parish.

This James looks to have been married up to 1825. Can't see how this is your James who married in 1817  :-\

Monica

Hrm, I'm not sure now - I was under the impression he was married to E. McCracken then, after that, to E. Armstrong... so you're suggesting that there were 2 James McPhersons in Wigtown in this time period, one married E. McCracken, one married E. Armstrong?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Here is a snip of the marriage entry of Dec 26 1815

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that James was born in the area?  I know that many families came from Ireland - my own included.

Gadget

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that James was born in the area?  I know that many families came from Ireland - my own included.

Gadget

I have no idea where James was born. Also, the 1790-1827 dates I gave were from the headstone with McCracken. As per the prior posts, this may not be the same James I am seeking.

The James McPherson I am seeking married Elizabeth Armstrong on October 30, 1817 in Portpatrick. That I know to be fact.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:41 BST (UK) »

I have no idea where James was born. Also, the 1790-1827 dates I gave were from the headstone with McCracken. As per the prior posts, this may not be the same James I am seeking.

The James McPherson I am seeking married Elizabeth Armstrong on October 30, 1817 in Portpatrick. That I know to be fact.

so why did you say this in your original posting here:

James died on March 3, 1827, aged 37 years; this puts his birth year at 1790 (+/- 1). He is buried in Portpatrick Old Kirkyard, and the headstone also mentions Portospittal (I cant find out what this is) in reference to James and his first wife (Elizabeth McCracken).

Does it say on the 1817 marriage that he was a widower and have you found a burial for Elizabeth Armstrong?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
James and Elizabeth Armstrong had two children baptised

Susan 1822 in Stoneykirk
and
John in 1925 in  Kirkcolm

none found so far with mother McCracken.