Author Topic: China manufacturer in Scotland circa 1800  (Read 6619 times)

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: China manufacturer in Scotland circa 1800
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 September 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lodger - I had no idea the china business was so big there!

There's a book, but I can't source a copy right now.

Kirsty

Kirsty, I wonder whether the book you mention is Alloa Pottery, by James Sproull and Thomas Rankine, published by Clackmannan District Libraries? I actually have a copy. Strangely there is nothing about Anderson in the main text yet he appears in Appendix 1. Unfortunately all that is is the extract already provided by shanghaipanda.

Imber
Yes it was that book I was trying to get! So nothing new in there. Thanks for the tip - saves me the bother!  :) :)
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »

Quote from: kirstyc on Wednesday 19 September 18 15:31 BST (UK)
I think she was born in Haddington in the 1780s. This could be wrong, if so it's still likely to be the lowlands region. Her son was born in Alloa, Clacks, and lived in Edinburgh and Fife

Hi Kirsty,
Have you looked for Catherine in 1851 which should indicate where she was born?
Annie

Catherine is in Kirkgate, Cupar in the 1851 census. Widowed, age 67, she is described as a house proprietrix She was born in East Linton.
flst

Ah you're quite right, flst. I misread it as Haddington in the county of East Lothian, but of course it would have been Haddingtonshire and it reads East Linton.

So that would make sense if the NAS record about James Anderson is right from 1804, which says that his father lived in Dunbar. Just down the road from East Linton.

Lodger - thanks for the NAS link!

So
- the James Sproull and Thomas Rankine books says say the pottery was started in 1790 by James Anderson
- Henry Kelly says the pottery was started in 1783 and makes no mention at all of JA
- the NAS record says James Anderson was a potter in Alloa in 1804
- his daughter's death cert says he was a china manufacturer

So he might have been a partner, or possibly Kelly got a name wrong and he is the James Turnbull who sold the business in 1804. i.e. he had it between 1790 and 1804.

Either way, I think I need to look more closely at Dunbar and East Linton.

Loved the naughty vicar story from Jaybelnz - such bohemians!

thanks folks!
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
I have come across a further article about Alloa Pottery. This appears in Scottish Pottery, Scottish Pottery Society 21st Historical Review, 2001 and is a ten page update by Robert Rankine of parts of the Spreull and Rankine book mentioned earlier. There is a brief mention of Anderson:

“On 15 March and again on 15May both in 1783 James Schaw registered leases of ground from the family of Erskine (Earls of Mar) and from Jean Brydie. The evidence for Schaw’s connection with a pottery at Alloa comes from James Whitehead (1807-1886) whose published reminisces recall the Alloa of his youth. Whitehead’s Alloa Fifty Years Ago was printed in the Alloa Advertiser in 1858/59 (repeated at later dates). He writes of the pottery ‘ James Ferguson, cooper, resided in the house adjoining Mr Johnston’s wine cellar. The next property is the Pottery, which originally belonged to a Mr Schaw, better known as Sheepy Schaw’. The property afterwards fell into the hands of Mr James Johnston, merchant, Alloa under whom several parties became lessees. Amongst the number was Mr Anderson, grandfather of the celebrated Rev James Cochran, minister of Cupar-Fife, who was a native of Alloa. The name of the party who had the pottery on lease after this (say 1814 and some years later) was a person named Hamilton. Then came Mr Wm Gardner …….”

Further on in the article:

“Johnston was remarkable for his great enterprise in business and it was he who took over James Schaw’s property and leased it to others. The lease holders included James Anderson from c1790; James Turnbull from 1805; James Heath 1812; William Hamiltonc1816; William Gardner c1821 and the Bailey family from 1855.”

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Strangely enough a TV prog' tonight, "Britain at Low Tide!" investigated sunk ships in the Clyde, one of them had a white substance leaking from the hold. Turned out to be kaolin & the ship  to be a Cornish schooner, its cargo for the Glasgow potteries.

Skoosh.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Strangely enough a TV prog' tonight, "Britain at Low Tide!" investigated sunk ships in the Clyde, one of them had a white substance leaking from the hold. Turned out to be kaolin & the ship  to be a Cornish schooner, its cargo for the Glasgow potteries.

Skoosh.

Thanks for that. Fascinating. Must try to see whether I can get it on I Player or similar.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Channel 4 Imber @ 7.00.  Alternatively it might have been for Kaolin poultices?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Imber - you are my absolute hero! That's definitely my guy! Rev James Cochrane was my ggg-grandfather. I couldn't be absolutely sure that the Catherine in the 2 census records was the right one, i.e. his mother, but this show that it is.

So one of the lessees - I'm thinking that would mean a co-business owner, rather than a co-land land owner. So he must have done other stuff too.

Skoosh - is that like the kaolin & morphine we used to take for tummy upsets?? Will take a look but currently gripped with Scotland's efforts in the Sheepdog trials!

Kirsty
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Extract from Scottish Pottery (Fleming, 1923):

"There was erected in the town of Alloa about 1790 a small pottery for the making of coarse ware from local clay. It was situated beside Me Johnson's wine cellars, and originally believed to have belonged to a man Shaw. better known as 'Sleepy Shaw'. It is questionable whether he himself built the works or a James Anderson, but we do know that Shaw was a master potter, and occupied the works, which were well known locally as The Pottery"

Pottery was a major industry in Scotland at one time. Plenty of information here:

http://www.scottishpotterysociety.co.uk/

Imber

Imber
Imber - do you have this book or did you find the quote online? I've just done a search and found a snippet from page 205 that looks like it might be relevant. If you have the actual book, I wondered whether you might look up the rest of the sentence:
P205: "James Johnstone next became proprietor, but as he took no active interest in the industry he leased it to different people, among them the well-known James Anderson, father of Mrs Cochran the china merchant..."

thanks
Kirsty
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 October 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
I do have the book. The sentence continues:

".... father of Mrs Cochran the China Merchant in Alloa. Mrs Cochran was the mother of the celebrated James Cochran, the Minister of Cupar-Fife. About 1814 a man Hamilton was in charge of the pottery".

Imber