Author Topic: Priemier Hotel Lookup Request  (Read 483 times)

Offline Union Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Priemier Hotel Lookup Request
« on: Wednesday 19 September 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
My ggrandfather Peter Christopher Garraty worked at the Premier Hotel (unrelated to the current Premier Inns chain) which was located at 120 Southampton Row, Russell Square. The hotel was sold in 1911 and I expect the name was changed at that time. I have a postcard image of the Hotel's facade as well as a postcard addressed to Peter at the hotel's address. Census records indicate that Peter Garraty spent most of his life working at several London hotels both as a clerk and a waiter.

My challenge is that internet searches containing the word "hotel" tend to focus on contemporary accommodations, and I am unable to find any history of the Premier Hotel. If anyone knows of a source for this hotel's history (date built/founded, description, hotel records, etc.), I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.
Union Jack
Forsyth, McPherson, McConnachie, Anderson (Aberdeenshire), Collier, Garraty, Noquet (London), Brown (Hertford)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Priemier Hotel Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried just searching for the address?  Might bring up something historical like on old maps etc  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
It was still called the Premier Hotel in 1919!

And mentioned in Hansard (the official record of Parliament):
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1919/jun/03/london-hotels-release

Plenty of photographs, too ;D
I did a Google search with "Premier Hotel" and "Southampton Row" (including the inverted commas).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Union Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses Milliepede & KGarrad. Your efforts are appreciated.

I'm afraid all the photos to which you referred appear to be adverts for the postcard image I have, and there's only one line of information concerning the Military's release of the hotel after the Great War. My interest is primarily the Hotel's history in the late 19th century, so if anyone else has more details, I would appreciate any information at all.

Regards,
Union Jack
Forsyth, McPherson, McConnachie, Anderson (Aberdeenshire), Collier, Garraty, Noquet (London), Brown (Hertford)