Author Topic: Riria Hopewai and her parentage  (Read 3216 times)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riria Hopewai and her parentage
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Clintonstorer2017,  In reply to your query on

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651896.0

John Deam's 'mother-in-law' Riria died in 1922. You may know this but I will give you the info I have. The only info I have on Riria and her parentage has been taken from Sarah's death certificate and Riria's death certificate. 
On Sarah's death cert it has Mihipo Waituruturu written as ‘maiden surname of mother’ (This is Riria)
and on Riria's death certificate it has her ‘Hapu’ as Ngati Kahununu (Ngati Kahungunu)and her mother is listed on attachment.  I have never taken this further as I got caught up in another family's history. So if you have further information I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Regards, M

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Riria Hopewai and her parentage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
I have looked up Mihipo Waituruturu on the maorilandonline index and find that she has/had ownership in two blocks of land near Thames.

http://www.maorilandonline.govt.nz

1    Omawhiti Section 5 {Omawhiti Section 5 Blk II, Hastings SD} There is an Ahu Whenua trust for the block which has around 920 owners. 

2  Waipatukahu Tapu A (Pt Section 13 Block XI Hastings Survey District) {Waipatukahu Tapu A} 874 owners. I cannot see a reference to any land administrators.

There are ownership listings for Deam and Hopewai as well on this site.

I have not been able to enlarge the copy of the death certificate you attached but see that she was from the Coromandel.  Is there any chance you could enlarge the part where it gives the mother's name please

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Mother's details from cert.

Cheers Janette

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
I can't quite make out the spelling of the Mother's name, however I have found the following - could there be a connection?

1919 Electoral Roll for Eastern Maori
Riria Nihouiho or could be Nihoniho
Tribe: Ngati Kahungunu
Sub Tribe: Ngati Te Ipu
Address: Pakipaki (Hawkes Bay)

WNW

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
The enlarged scan of the mother's name, thanks Janette, looks as though it could be Nihoniho, I had an 'a' at the end though. 

The idea I had with the Maori landonline site was that if an ancestor was found there may be succession orders and these may be searchable by making contact with the Court.  If they are searchable then some of the mysteries may be solved as other descendants may already done some of the genealogical work. 

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
You wonderful, wonderful people! I have looked at this family in the past and put it in the too hard basket.
I have records of Sarah's son looking through the land courts and talking about land between Gisborne and Napier but the enquiries were all done under Sarah's name so nothing came up.
I am at the moment laid up after surgery and when I got the original enquiry very quickly put up what details I had and thought maybe they can go further thinking no more of it.

Now you have come back with this wonderful info. 
I don't know much about contacting the Maori Courts. Would this be in person, if so I am immobile for approx 1 month more so will look into it when I can.

And as far as the electoral roll goes that is very promising.  Would I have to contact Ngati Kahungunu to get further info or is there a contact for the sub tribe Ngati Te Ipu?

Feeling very frustrated that I am so immobile when this break through has arrived :( but also over the moon that I might finally have some movement ;D

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
You wonderful, wonderful people! I have looked at this family in the past and put it in the too hard basket.
I have records of Sarah's son looking through the land courts and talking about land between Gisborne and Napier but the enquiries were all done under Sarah's name so nothing came up.
I am at the moment laid up after surgery and when I got the original enquiry very quickly put up what details I had and thought maybe they can go further thinking no more of it.

Now you have come back with this wonderful info. 
I don't know much about contacting the Maori Courts. Would this be in person, if so I am immobile for approx 1 month more so will look into it when I can.

EDITED

Hello

For a start, start with your computer at your side. Use the search or advance search options on the NZ Archives  ARCHWAY site. Court records [files] should then be found, but remember that pre WW1 Maori names, could be spelt many ways depending upon who was writing down the name, and if they had any understanding of how Maori express kinship. It was quite common for the early converts to Christianity to take up a biblical "Christian" name and also just a nick name. There was no consistancy and so, if lucky you will often see an a k a name recorded, you can further search into.

Search for all the posibilities you can think of and sift through the results.

Because of typo's and imperfect printing, search engines do NOT always find all the hits that a naked eye can recognise, so all forms of searching take a lot of time, and a bit of luck. Searching will keep you otherwise occupied.

A recent 600 newspaper clippings search of mine, produced many alternative spellings for the subjects of my first delve into Maori heritage history 1865 - 1910.  So best of luck.

Once you have a few key names then check them out on the Maori Land on line site.

Alan.

PS Records so far found for one subject; Hohaia [Josiah] NGAHIWI, have had the surmame spelt as Ngahiwi - Ngaiwi - Hga Hiwi - Ngapiha.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
I have looked up Mihipo Waituruturu on the maorilandonline index and find that she has/had ownership in two blocks of land near Thames.

http://www.maorilandonline.govt.nz

1    Omawhiti Section 5 {Omawhiti Section 5 Blk II, Hastings SD} There is an Ahu Whenua trust for the block which has around 920 owners. 

2  Waipatukahu Tapu A (Pt Section 13 Block XI Hastings Survey District) {Waipatukahu Tapu A} 874 owners. I cannot see a reference to any land administrators.

There are ownership listings for Deam and Hopewai as well on this site.

I have not been able to enlarge the copy of the death certificate you attached but see that she was from the Coromandel.  Is there any chance you could enlarge the part where it gives the mother's name please

Hello M.

With reference to the above Maorilandonline, I've grabed a page save, of the referenced material. From it you can see there are ten pages of data referring to persons with a registered interest in that block. All having some kinship link. There is also information about surveyed land titles which can also be researched for times when the title has been mentioned in Court; or land re-surveying / subdivision; and the general press. Best of hunting.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
The following is the link to the Ngati Kahungunu website:

https://www.kahungunu.iwi.nz/

If you contact them in the first instance they may be able to provide contact details for Ngati Te Ipu.

Good luck!

WNW