Author Topic: Tyne Pilots  (Read 3813 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyne Pilots
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
On Sunday I had the wonderful experience of visiting the Pilot Office in South Shields.  This is now a private residence but the people who live there had kindly agreed to open their front door to visitors as part of the Heritage Open Days events.  I was very interested in visiting this building as there are Tyne Pilots ancestors on my maternal side of the family.

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the various memorabilia on display (including one of my ancestors - Richard Young displayed on a group photo).  We were also permitted to look around the garden where I was told the pilots once grew veg and kept hens.  The history talk in the main entrance was most interesting.  And I got to meet other descendants of Tyne Pilots who had also turned up! :D  I really enjoyed listening to others' conversation and information on their own ancestors and I was given some more information regarding my own ancestors from a former Tyne Pilot whose conversation and information was very knowledgeable and fascinating to listen too.

I am still somewhat buzzing after my visit at the Pilot Office and just wanted to ask fellow RootsChatters if there are any of you out there who may also be descended from a Tyne Pilot?

Just to give you a bit of background on my own pilot ancestors  - my Great x 2 Grandfather Tyne Pilot ancestor was called Philip Young.  He was born on 3 July 1845, baptized 27 July 1845 St Peter Wallsend.  He married at St Nicholas Cathedral to Elizabeth Marshall on 30 April 1877 and obtained his pilot licence on 1 May 1874.  He then went on to pilot from the Newcastle then South Shields area.  He died on 6 January 1912 and is buried and has a gravestone in Harton Cemetery.

Philip's father John was also a Tyne Pilot and so was his brother who was called Richard Bonner Young.  John drowned in the Tyne.  Richard has a lovely nautical looking grave in All Saints Cemetery in Newcastle.  Philip's sons - Philip, Richard, Thomas and Ralph (the brothers of my Great Grandmother) also went to sea.  Son Philip unfortunately drowned on 11 November 1902 as an apprentice pilot when the coble 'Victory' he was sailing on sank during a storm - he had only been married 8 weeks at the time.  The other man who had been in the coble was called James Carter and this man was rescued.  There was a medal giving ceremony in South Shields which followed this tragedy and each of the rescuers was presented with a medal and fund raising events were initiated to raise money for Philip's young widow.

Philip's (Snr) sons Richard and Ralph also became pilots and Thomas also went to sea but it seems not as a pilot.

At the event we were told about this interesting video clip about a pilots work in bringing the 'boats' in.  Hope you enjoy this! :)

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-how-the-boat-comes-in-1980-online

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne Pilots
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Jbarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was interested to read about your day in the old Pilot Office. Do they have open house every year? My father used to take me there on occasions when he had to see about his accounts. He was a tyne Pilot born in 1913. Our family name is Duncan, we have links to Stephenson and Marshall, Burn and Phillips, all of whom were part of the tight knit group of Tyne Pilots. I'm very happy to share any information I have about the Pilots.
Regards
Jane

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Sounds fascinating. I have several watermen on the Tyne, but no pilot in my tree.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
The old Pilot Office was opened last year for the free Heritage Open Days.  There was a lot of interest in this last year - it was very popular.  Due to the success with this last year I would imagine it will also feature in this year's Heritage Open Days for South Shields.  The brochures will come out in the summer. and this year the HOD's will be taking place during 13-22 September.  So hopefully the old Pilot Office will be opened at some point then. It is now private flats but the residents generously agreed to open their door last year.

It was great to meet and chat to other descendants of the Tyne Pilots last year.  I hope to go along again this year if it does feature.  Hopefully, you might be able to come along too Jane. 

It was fascinating Cracklyn and I got to hear more things about my own ancestors from a retired Tyne Pilot whose memorabilia was on display.  It was a great day and I would recommend this.

Offline Jbarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Ive registered for notification about the Open Doors event. I would be interested to know the name of the retired Pilot who gave you information. Can you remember his name? Was it John Marshall perhaps. I would love to speak to someone who remembered my father.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jbarr,

Yes, I do remember the name of the retired pilot but I am not sure if I am allowed to mention publicly.  I will look to see if I still have his contact info at some point this week and if so, I will contact him to let him know that someone on here would like to contact him re their Father who was a Tyne Pilot and things can be taken from there.

This man was most interesting to talk to.  He knew the stories behind my ancestors nick names. As you likely know, a number of the pilots had nick names  Also, he was just starting work as one of my ancestors was on the point of retirement - although, being young at the time he did not fraternise with him he was able to tell me more - which was great.

It might also interest you to know that on the day last year it was also mentioned that the descendants of the Tyne Pilots have a social group.  This is not something I have been to because of my work and other commitments - however, I am sure it was mentioned that they meet at a pub near the old Pilot office once a month on a Sunday.  I know which pub it is but can't remember the name.  It is over-looking the river and has a board relating to the Tyne Pilots a few hundred yards in front of it.  If I can find the contact again for the retired pilot, I could also ask him when the next 'social' might be - if this might be of interest to you?

Offline Jbarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I understand your reluctance to publish names right left and centre. If the gentleman turns out to be John Marshall don't worry about contacting him as he is my cousin and we are in touch with one another. He's quite active in keeping the history of the Pilots alive and does have knowledge such as you described. If it is someone else and you manage to contact him my fathers name was Richard Duncan and my name is Jane.
It is interesting to know that the relatives meet at the pub, I can't remember the name either but I know the pub you mean, just opposite what used to be the Pilot watch house on the Law Top.
Do let me know if there is anything I can help you with in terms or research and the Tyne Pilots.
Jane

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jbarr,

I have sent you a pm. :)