Author Topic: Teachers Registration in Scotland??  (Read 1157 times)

Online JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Teachers Registration in Scotland??
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am attempting to find out where my Scottish relative taught. Her name was Constance Jane Jessie Rutherford, born 1903 in Dundee. I imagine she started teaching in the 1920's.

I realise that Find My Past has the English/Welsh Teachers' Registration Council Registers 1914-1948, but does anyone know if a similar index exists for Scottish teachers?

Any assistance or advice on where to look would be great.

Thanks in advance  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Teachers Registration in Scotland??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Jenny,

The attached link may provide a starter for ten. 

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/education-records#Schools

Istrice

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

The General Teaching Council for Scotland has only been around since 1965, see http://www.gtcs.org.uk/about-gtcs/history-of-GTCS.aspx

The Educational Institute of Scotland, which has been around since 1847 and is the oldest trade union for teachers in the world has a Royal Charter that allows it to award degrees - described as fellowship of the institute (or F.E.I.S) - you sometimes see this in old school and college documents on a list of staff (I've worked in a school with a history to 1859 and a college with roots in the 1860s :) ).  However, I have no idea if the EIS have the records or the resources to respond to individual queries.

Dundee Central Library have a local history section - they may have a name index from local papers or have some resources on schools and education generally in the area.  Their contact details are here: http://www.leisureandculturedundee.com/library/central-library-wellgate

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Online JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info and links Rockford & Istrice  ;)

I will look into them.....fingers crossed something turns up on my lady  :)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Did Constance marry, if so when/who to & where as this may give an idea as to where she taught with an address at time of a marriage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
I was lucky and found the teaching college, where my ancestors attended, inserted adverts in local newspapers giving names of who had passed what exam and which schools each of them would be teaching at.

I see the British Newspaper Archive has historic copies of Dundee newspapers.  Have you enquired to see if your local or county library gives free access to this archive?

This is the URL for the newspaper archive.  If your library has a subscription they will give their members a barcode to use for free entry to the website.
http://galeapps.galegroup.com/apps/auth/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

No Connie did not marry, so there are unfortunately no clues waiting for me in marriage records...

Hi Rena,

The only references I have found thus far in the newspapers for Constance/Connie Rutherford are:

A couple of articles in 1920 (Dundee Evening Telegraph) & 1921 (Dundee Courier) stating that she was a student at the Harris Academy....I may have to do more research on it to find out if it was a teacher's college, she would have been 17 & 18yrs of age at this time. The articles are about the end of year break up, not subjects or results unfortunately...and she was entertaining them by playing the piano  ;)

and

An article in 1924 (Dundee Courier) about Dundee Teaching Vacancies where the Dundee Education Authority had 'approved' her along with a long list of other 'candidates from the several training colleges for prospective appointments in the schools of the Authority'
She is listed as Constance J J Rutherford, of 2 Hermonhill Tce, 27 Perth Road, Dundee....but unfortunately the article does not state which school she was appointed to  ::)

So close....yet so far!

Jenny

Online JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 September 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Well.....I contacted the Harris Academy Former Pupils Association on the off chance that they would have access to school records showing which teachers college Connie Rutherford went to when she finished high school....I am soooooo glad that I did  ;D

They have just e-mailed me to say that Connie taught at the Harris Primary!! Some of them remember her as she retired at the end of 1960. How is that for a stroke of luck!!

I'm off to contact the Dundee City Archives, as apparently they hold the Harris Academy admission registers ;)

Yay for the power of the internet!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 September 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Well done on that mission!

I wonder if there are photos of her anywhere?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"