Author Topic: James Gillies 1875 - 1956  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Gillies 1875 - 1956
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:20 BST (UK) »
No Forfarian!!!... ;D

I hadn't checked dates (was too interested in names) & after posting I realised hence my 'Add' rather than just delete it ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
James listed Elspet Loban as his mother on both his marriage certificates (he wasn't a bigamist) & his death certificate.
The dates & names on the Catholic register tie in with the date & mothers name in the birth certificate which is why I tied them together.
I was unaware of all the extra children as I have only recently branched out to this side as James married Alexina Gray(my grandmother) after my father George Burns Fordyce Gray was born to a George Fordyce in Portessie.
So it seems that having children out of wedlock was not too uncommon.
The name Geddes has been mentioned which also ties (loosely) with this family as George Fordyce's mother was Anne Geddes (1843 - 1905), and I did not realise how common the name Geddes was until I started looking for gravestones.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Annie

Phew!  :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks agray for the info. on 'Lobab/Lobban' after throwing it into the mix when nobody was looking  :D

However, having read through your posts & the complexities, the marriage I found may be of interest at a later date  :-\

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
James listed Elspet Loban as his mother on both his marriage certificates (he wasn't a bigamist) & his death certificate.
The dates & names on the Catholic register tie in with the date & mothers name in the birth certificate which is why I tied them together.
I was unaware of all the extra children as I have only recently branched out to this side as James married Alexina Gray(my grandmother) after my father George Burns Fordyce Gray was born to a George Fordyce in Portessie.
So it seems that having children out of wedlock was not too uncommon.
The name Geddes has been mentioned which also ties (loosely) with this family as George Fordyce's mother was Anne Geddes (1843 - 1905), and I did not realise how common the name Geddes was until I started looking for gravestones.

Meet Robert McGregor who was known for having over 20 illegitimate children in his lifetime and they were only the ones who were known to us - I can only presume there must have been something in his tea . . . 

The joke in my family was Gregor "Willox" Mcgregor Robert McGregor's son: He could make sterile cows milk and make barren lasses pregnant - little did their husbands know it was him that was making them "preggers" . . . ; )