Author Topic: Minnie/Matilda or Malinda?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline SimonCullum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie/Matilda or Malinda?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 March 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
The person you are searching for, Melinda Loëtitia Collinson Flatman, is my great grandmother. She died a few days after giving birth to my grandfather, also Henry Westhorpe Cullum, in April 1898. She has a beautiful grave with a statue in Mellis churchyard in Suffolk - I will brave the Corona Virus and go and take some photos if anyone would be interested? I have a fair number of papers on the Cullum family connection to the Flatmans. My great grandfather was so upset by her death that he abandoned my grandfather and fled to Canada, where he joined the gold rush...
Contact me if you wish,
Simon Westhorpe Cullum

Offline SimonCullum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 March 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
So, briefly, Arthur Flatman was born in Redgrave, Suffolk, son of an agricultural labourer. He went from that start, via being a butler, then a lodging house keeper, to being a multiple hotel owner in London. Not bad going! He married Mary Jane Mead on 10th March 1869 in the Wesleyan Chapel, Farnham, near Aldershot in Hampshire. They were both 21. This is on the marriage certificate. According to the 1871 census, Susannah Collison was an unmarried servant in Prospect House in Maidstone with Arthur Flatman and his wife Mary...

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon

Yes as you say a beautiful memorial to Minnie and I am pleased to say the ash sapling has now been removed.  I will send you a PM later.

K

ps If you reply to this post you will have made the required number of posts to enable use of personal messages.

Offline SimonCullum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was there today - the chain link fence is broken around it and I will fix it in the near future. I also noted that Arthur Flatman’s grave is next to it - and his wife Susannah is on it - so he clearly remarried after Mary Jane Mead

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 March 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a PM Simon.   Yes he certainly married Susanna but it’s a long and interesting story with some twists.

K