Author Topic: Harriett Ladner of Over, Winsford  (Read 734 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Harriett Ladner of Over, Winsford
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Harriett Ladner died in 1929, age 70, while residing at Rosslyn (133 Swanlow Lane) Over, Winsford. She is listed in the 1929 Electoral Register and also living there is Jane Ikin, my great-aunt, who I assume was caring for her. In 1922, Harriett Ladner was living in Stoke Newington, London, where she was a teacher. But there is a gap between.
I know so much, but have hit a few hurdles.
When and why did Harriett Ladner move to Over, Winsford? Was she teaching at 61 years of age?
Trying to find a grave, I contacted St Chad's and St John's churches as she was CofE. They said all records were held by Chester and Cheshire West council, who suggested I contact a cremetorium in Chester.
Does anyone know where Harriett Ladner is burried?
Hoping to find an obituary, Windford Guardian suggested the libraries, but they do not keep anything.
Are there any online records for the Winsford Guardian?
Harriett Ladner died 16th October 1929 which I have from probate. At present I live in South Wales.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett Ladner of Over, Winsford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
The Winsford & Middlewich Guardian, 4 Sep 1909, reported the wedding of Frederick Thomas Munton, of Derby and Constance Moore Stelfox, of Winsford at Wharton Parish Church, Winsford.

Listed among the many who gave a wedding present are
Miss Ladner (London), silver spoons
Mr and Mrs J. W. Ladner (London), silver cake knife.

I have found a Harriet Ladner, Stoke Newington on the 1911 Census and she is living with 2 Muntons from Derby. A family relationship exists with the Munton, head of household.

Also found a James William Ladner in 1911.   

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the article as it offers a link to Winsford. The two Ladners were brother and sister, with their mother's maiden name being Munton, who spread throughout the midlands, though I have not looked into their family tree.

The reason for my interest, is a hand-painted watercolour postcard given to me in the 1970s by my great-aunt Jane. It was addressed to Miss Ladner of Rosslyn, Over wishing her a happy Christmas and New Year from all at Ruan. From the unclear postmark I could only read Minor. It turned out, the card was painted by he brother James W Ladner, having moved from London to Ruan Minor, Cornwall around 1922. In London, both were teachers and he certainly taught art.

Having established the links between Miss Ladner and great-aunt Jane, also the link between Over, Winsford and Ruan Minor, Cornwall, I am looking for a few more pieces of information to close my search. Having researched all of the family tree, I then found it included on Ancestry, but without the information relating to her death. Without the postcard, it would be difficult to solve. I tried to contact the author, but Ancestry would not pass on the information.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks hanes teulu
The information provided regarding a wedding set me off down another track and I have established Frederick T Munton lived at Rosslyn from 1911 as listed in the census as newly married. He was an analytical chemist with Salt Union in Winsford.
He was the brother of Annie Maria Munton and Mary Emma Munton and they were cousins of Harriett Ladner. Having found probate records for all but Mary Emma Munton who died 1923, all at some time lived at Rosslyn, Over, Winsford. On the electoral register, it only lists Harriet Ladner and my great-aunt Jane Ikin. I assume Frederick T Munton, his wife Constance and Annie Maria Munton were not living there at the time. I know Annie Maria Munton died in 1930 recorded as living at Rosslyn.
I still have answers to find, but now I am further down that road to knowing.