Author Topic: Benjamin Rowe -Mystery on Bald Mountain, Colorado  (Read 912 times)

Offline j-allen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Benjamin Rowe -Mystery on Bald Mountain, Colorado
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
My gt. gt. grandfather Benjamin Rowe  was born illegitimately in Sithney, Cornwall to Jane Rowe in 1822. He married Mary Ann Lawry in 1847 and was a tin miner. He appears on the 1871 census in St. Just but disappears, leaving his wife a widow by the 1881 census.

By luck during one research session I came across a Letters of Administration of his personal estate, stating the Benjamin Rowe late of Bald Mountain, Colorado died on the 27th January 1876 and was a Farmer (surprise!) His probate was granted to Mary Ann Rowe as the lawful widow.

As I was not sure which county in Colorado Bald Mountain was in, I contacted Boulder FHS for some advice if they could point me in the right direction to find his death and burial. Unfortunately they were not that helpful and informed me that there were 27 local Bald Mountains but there was a 13,000 foot peak called Bald Mountain situated in Summit County.

Benjamin Rowe now sits behind a brick wall unfortunately unless anyone can kindly suggest where I go next! Many thanks

Rowe (Cornwall, Leicester), Crowther (Worcestershire), Crisp,Westley, Rew (Warwickshire), Bryan (Leicestershire)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Rowe -Mystery on Bald Mountain, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
My gt. gt. grandfather Benjamin Rowe  was born illegitimately in Sithney, Cornwall to Jane Rowe in 1822. He married Mary Ann Lawry in 1847 and was a tin miner. He appears on the 1871 census in St. Just but disappears, leaving his wife a widow by the 1881 census.

By luck during one research session I came across a Letters of Administration of his personal estate, stating the Benjamin Rowe late of Bald Mountain, Colorado died on the 27th January 1876 and was a Farmer (surprise!) His probate was granted to Mary Ann Rowe as the lawful widow.

As I was not sure which county in Colorado Bald Mountain was in, I contacted Boulder FHS for some advice if they could point me in the right direction to find his death and burial. Unfortunately they were not that helpful and informed me that there were 27 local Bald Mountains but there was a 13,000 foot peak called Bald Mountain situated in Summit County.

Benjamin Rowe now sits behind a brick wall unfortunately unless anyone can kindly suggest where I go next! Many thanks

Maybe go to Colorado Bald Mountain  ??   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
There must be Land records transferring the farm to the Inheritor?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:33 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
The 'Letters of Administration' had to be filed in some county probate court.  So, what does the document itself say?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
https://www.weeklyregistercall.com/2015/10/29/historic-headstones-at-bald-mountain-cemetery-get-tlc/

Roth finds his job educational, coming across facts he didn’t know while photographing and cataloging information from the headstones.

“It’s neat that people actually care about these old cemeteries,” he commented. “Historical societies and the families of the people buried get involved in taking care of the sites.”

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:51 BST (UK) »

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966, 1973-1995 - Benjamin Rowe

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 September 18 20:54 BST (UK) »

Not sure if this will help but could be worth an email - RAOGK volunteer for Boulder County. First on list.

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/colorado/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada