Author Topic: James W Ladner Ruan Minor  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
James W Ladner Ruan Minor
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information relating to James W Ladner and his wife Harriett who moved to Ruan Minor, Helston from London. He was a teacher and in 1916, registered to teach in Ruan Minor. In London, he reached Head Teacher with London County Council with one of his subjects being art.

The earliest Electoral Register is 1922, listing them at Troworder, which I believe is Treworder Farm next to the Church and School. From 1923 to 1929 they are listed along with others at Churchtown, which I assume is simply an area Ruan Minor was divided into. Harriett died in 1933 and James W in 1941 and know they are burried in St Ruan CofE Church. At the time, they were living at Glebe Cottage. The other week I called at Ruan Minor and asked a few locals for its location, but nothing. They commented on outsiders moving to the village and changing the names of house, giving them Cornish ones.

A date as to when they arrived in Ruan Minor? Did James W Ladner teach at Ruan Minor School? Where is Glebe Cottage?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James W Ladner Ruan Minor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
James W Ladner was born in 1854 so by 1916 he was 62 and by 1923 he was nearly 70. 

I think electoral registers were suspended during WW1 so it may be difficult to establish exactly when he moved to Cornwall.

Have you viewed the 1939 entry which may help re location of Glebe Cottage

Is he an ancestor?  4 sons born to them but 2 died in infancy
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
It might need a trip to the Record Office in Truro which holds the records of Grade and Ruan Minor National School (later Grade-Ruan Church of England School).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/54fed924-bd49-42a5-be98-75d82980ac62

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks
1939 England and Wales Electoral Register
Glebe Cottage, Ruan Minor
James W Ladner; 85; Widowed; b. 3 February 1854
John E Ladner; 55 (Son)
Lillian Dorcas Janet 31

I know he registered to teach in Ruan Minor 1916, though accept his age at the time.

At present the Achives in Truro are closed. I contacted them and they looked but could find any information.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
My reason for researching is quite vague. In the 1970s, I was given a hand-painted watercolour postcard of Church Cove by my great-aunt Jane in Winsford Cheshire. (A similar question has been asked on the Cheshire Board, of Harriet Ladner who moved to Over, Winsford.) I have established James W Ladner painted the postcard and it was sent to Harriett in Winsford one Christmas.

I also accept, there will be parts where I do not find an answer. Having established so much from very little to start with, I am hoping people with local knowledge may be able to offer insights.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
If you have the 1939 Register original in front of you, plus/minus a couple of pages, you should be able to see something there that gives you a clue as to where the cottage was, on the basis that the written Register was "in house/road order".  e.g. maybe he's listed 6 doors down from a pub, or between an address that's identifiable and another fixed point.

If you have all the addresses written down in front of you (the Register) ... something might make sense.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
On Find My Past the 1939 is only available with the monthly Plus and Pro subscriptions, which is not me. I use the library, though some 1939 records have been offered while there, on times with a line missing.

I know, James W Ladner is living at Glebe Cottage as he is listed on the 1939 Electoral Register, but trying a 1939 free search with Find My Past it cannot find him. I will try again tomorrow in the library.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 October 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
The 1939 Electoral Register I mentioned seeing, I believe was actually the 1939 Register, as the information show was the same as sample images.
Searching in the library, Find My Past could not locate a James W Ladner at Ruan Minor, whereas Ancestry offered me a correct result, but I have to subscribe to go any further. I have already viewed the page once. How, Why? I do not know. My intention was to follow the suggestion of StanleysChesterton of looking either side of Glebe Cottage to see if it gave a landmark. I will visit Cornwall again and walk around Ruan Minor, as last time it was a little rushed.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
1907 Map Ruan Minor-
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/172049/15229/12/101040

Use zoom (-) to reveal old map.

Glebe Cottage not named on the map but on the 1911 Census it is listed immediately before the Post Office.