Author Topic: James W Ladner Ruan Minor  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James W Ladner Ruan Minor
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 October 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
It would appear in the 1940s, those buildings that made up Churchtown were razed to the ground, possibly because of the expense in rebuilding. Looking at those recorded in the 1911 Census, they are a mix of people from retired dressmaker and a charwoman, to Serpentine stone workers, to individuals living by private means and having a servant. One person I am interested in, is Charles Eyres Simmons, a watercolour artist or Landscape Painter as he is described by profession. Of a similar age to James William Ladner, both of the Hampton Court/Kingston area and both with an interest in watercolour. By 1911, he is living at Churchtown, but not Glebe Cottage. Then in 1916, the Ladners moved to Churchtown, though initially stayed at Treworder Farm next door. Coincidence, or did Eyres Simmons influence their decision to move to Ruan Minor? Trying to find more about Eyres Simmons, I have posted on the London and Middlesex board: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802239.0 There is very little information online, so I am hoping local knowledge may uncover where Eyres Simmons learnt to paint and where he taught.

The postcard is by ‘Jotter’ or Walter Hayward-Young who was a prolific artist touring Great Britain producing over 800 images, many of which were made into postcards. This one is of Ruan Minor and may show Glebe Cottage and Rose Cottage. When I next visit, it will be shown to the elderly guy I spoke with, to see if he recognises where the cottages were.