Author Topic: Tithe Applotment Question  (Read 1483 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Tithe Applotment Question
« on: Friday 21 September 18 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to understand the Tithe Applotment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those appearing in the search are agricultural workers....likely living in some shack, on property owned by another and working the land. My question is, what age would the person likely be in order to show up on the list?

I have the following people from the townland of Dysartbeagh, Queens County:

No 43:   Richard MOORES
No. 49   Fanton (Fenton) Moore
No. 49:    Denis Moore
No. 51   John Moore

Trying to determine...are these brothers, father and sons, etc. And wonder, what age they would have to be. For example, Fanton (Fenton) and Denis. They are both on No. 49. Father and son? How would one know?

Also, would any other record available provide more information on the lot they were assigned.  Who lived there down the line...etc?

Thanks for any input!

Brenda
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Applotment Question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
Those appearing in the search own or lease over one Irish/Plantation acre, if the land is productive they pay a tithe.
There is no way to tell their ages or relationship to each other.
You can read about the books here
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
Use the read more links at the bottom of each page.

The houses they lived in could range from humble cottages to grand houses.

Next in line of land records is Griffith's Valuation
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sinann. So the person listed would be the head of household on that parcel? If there are two people with the same number, would they be two farmers in the same household such as a father and son, or would there be two households on the same parcel and each name is the head of each household?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Less likely to be father and son as I'd say only the father would be the lease holder and would pass it on to the son, could be brothers sharing land. You would need to know more about how leases were held.
I don't know enough about that, sorry.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
I had problems looking at this on National Archives site. I couldn't view the whole of the left page so only saw from number 49, at top of r.h. page. Was other number 49 at foot of l.h. page?  In addition, many names on the previous page, numbers 18-34, don't seem to be indexed, Fitzpatrick for instance. Index has only 38 entries.

Number 51 was a small plot of land, 1 rood. The entry I saw for no. 49 was also for a small plot. Were these only parts of their land holdings?  Did those people have other plots which, added together made up an acre or more?

Cowban

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Denis Moore (49) and Richard Moores are listed on the left page. Fenton (49) and John Moore are listed on the right page. I couldn't find any other entries for additional plots.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
I've looked again. This time I could view the double page and see numbers 35-63. Denis had only a tiny piece of land. The figures 1218 were written in the column headed "Observations" against Denis. These figures were consecutive.

This time there were only 30 search results i.e. for numbers 35-63 instead of 38 as on my previous visit. No John Brennan for instance as before.  ???  I used browse facility each time. I did however find the names D-H missing from my 1st search. Townland name for entries 18-33 was transcribed as Disertbeagh.
All a bit strange.  ??? My brain needs a rest.

None of my ancestors were included in Tithe Applotments so I haven't paid much attention to them before.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
I've solved the conundrum. Townland Dysartbeagh has been transcribed with 3 different spellings. No transcription contains all entries for the townland. Is there any way of reporting this error? The only correction option I could see is for names of people.
Cowban

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 September 18 23:57 BST (UK) »
The Applotment books are known to be in a mess, some townlands aren't even in the correct counties in the search.
They have only just started correcting the Censuses so it's unlikely anything will be corrected in the Applotment books for quite a long time.

They ask for an email about location errors perhaps that is the best way to report the spelling errors of placenames.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp