Author Topic: 1839 newspaper partial clipping - how does it end?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
1839 newspaper partial clipping - how does it end?
« on: Friday 21 September 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to old newspapers and could tell me how this article ends? 

London Standard Newspaper Archives, Jun 17, 1839, p. 4
https://newspaperarchive.com/london-standard-jun-17-1839-p-4/
On Tuesday arening last Mr. Basil Sandys, who has resided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise^flker, went for some short ...

Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette 15 Jun 1839
On evening last, Mr. Basil Sandys, who has resided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some short..

I feel that I want to offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a witty and original ending ;D ;D ;D but I really want the actual text.

Many thanks
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1839 newspaper partial clipping - how does it end?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Cut and paste from Freemans Journal... Tue 11 Jun 1839 p3.

LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE. On Tuesday evening last Mr. Basil Sandys, who has re- sided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some short time from his house in Church-street, leaving his family of six children behind him; on his return he found that the eldest, a fine girl of thirteen years of age, had neglected to attend to her brothers and sisters, as directed by her father when going out; he immediately laid hold of her, and commenced beating her with the thong of a whip which he took down for that purpose. After beating her for some time, and whilst in a violent fit of passion, he turned the handle of the whip and struck her on the crown of the head; a bone crook which was on the handle entered the child's skull to some depth, and fractured it. She now lies in the county infirmary, in a hopeless state, and Mr. Sandys has been arrested and committed to our county gaol, awaiting the result. Mr. Sandys is respectably connected in the county of Roscommon, and his wife, the stepmother of the children, was not at home it occurred -- Longford Journal

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Oh dear - it appears that his daughter subsequently died from her injuries.

By the 27 June it was reported that Basil was committed to gaol for the supposed murder of his daughter
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
So, he had 6 children and looks like he was married twice by then, if I read it correctly.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:32 BST (UK) »

On evening last, Mr. Basil Sandys, who has resided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some shortcrust pastry to make a pie!

Many thanks
Philip

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
The above was meant to be a response to witty ending and not inserted as a quote!!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:44 BST (UK) »

On evening last, Mr. Basil Sandys, who has resided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some shortcrust pastry to make a pie!

Many thanks
Philip

Cheeky!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Cut and paste from Freemans Journal... Tue 11 Jun 1839 p3.

LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE. On Tuesday evening last Mr. Basil Sandys, who has re- sided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some short time from his house in Church-street, leaving his family of six children behind him; on his return he found that the eldest, a fine girl of thirteen years of age, had neglected to attend to her brothers and sisters, as directed by her father when going out; he immediately laid hold of her, and commenced beating her with the thong of a whip which he took down for that purpose. After beating her for some time, and whilst in a violent fit of passion, he turned the handle of the whip and struck her on the crown of the head; a bone crook which was on the handle entered the child's skull to some depth, and fractured it. She now lies in the county infirmary, in a hopeless state, and Mr. Sandys has been arrested and committed to our county gaol, awaiting the result. Mr. Sandys is respectably connected in the county of Roscommon, and his wife, the stepmother of the children, was not at home it occurred -- Longford Journal

Many thanks, Sc00p

Philip