Author Topic: A Hume Lady  (Read 599 times)

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Hume Lady
« on: Friday 21 September 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
I was given this photo by a family member but he doesn't know who she is.

We think it might be Catherine Hume (nee O'Hanlon) born in Ireland c1856.  Catherine died in 1897 in Portadown.  Catherine married and had seven children - all born in Armagh.  I don't think Catherine spent any time in England except for a few months in 1890 after her youngest child was born.  The family were in Croydon, Surrey when the child died aged seven months in 1890 and the family (I presume they were all together in Surrey) returned to Ireland.  In 1890 all the older children were baptised into the Roman Catholic Church in Armagh.

Catherine's eldest two children were girls:  Eugenie born in 1879 and Alice in 1882 in Armagh.  I have a photo of Alice taken (probably) just before WWI and the face is a little squarer.  I have no photos of Eugenie except as a very old lady but a photo (WWI again) of a son has a similar shape face.  Eugenie and Alice were definitely in England as young woman as they appear in the 1901 census in Stockport with their father.  They later both emigrated to Canada as married women.
So, if this lady is not Catherine it could be one of her daughters.  Dating the photo and the lady would help.

I feel sure it must be of a family member to have been kept.  I have several other family photographs but don't want to overload this post with them unless asked to do so!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Hume Lady
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian and welcome to Rootschat...I would say this was an 1870s photo. So most likely to be Catherine.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome - I am new here!

I do so want this photograph to be Catherine and it has always seemed the most likely to me and from limited research I have been able to do myself.  I just could never quite convince myself she visited the north of England and found no 'evidence' of it.

Catherine married in June 1878.  Her new husband was a soldier in an Irish Regiment and although he had joined up in India (where he was born) he was eventually posted 'home' to Ireland.  I have always thought it unlikely Catherine visited England (and Manchester for this photo) but digging a bit deeper into her husband's military career I can see that in February 1878 he was posted to Fleetwood.  I always had two possibilities for Fleetwood:  one near Dublin and another on the west coast of Lancashire.  I had assumed the Irish Fleetwood but I now wonder if it was in Lancashire and whether Catherine went with her husband and this photo was taken around the time of their marriage.  Three months after their marriage her husband was posted overseas - Zululand and the birth certificate for their first child actually says Zululand as the address of the father!

Can I press you, please, to explain how you arrive at 1870s.  Is it the dress?  Hair?  Style of card, background etc.?

Thank you, again!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
It's all of those together that lead me to an 1870s date, the red/brown border in particular is a feature
of that era if I remember correctly.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't disagree with Carol, however it would have to be late decade. This style was popular into the early 80's so I would suggest around 1878-82.
The one issue I have is that married women usually showed their left hand. Single women often had their left hand behind their back or covered by their right as in this.
Also fans were a common prop used with single women (indicating virtue according to the Japanese).
It's also worth mentioning that these were often sent to friends so you can't discount it being someone else I'm afraid.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
That's all very interesting.  If it was late 1870's and Catherine had travelled to the UK with her husband it may well have been that they were not quite married at the time - hence covering/hiding her left hand.  I have found out there were army barracks at Fleetwood in Lancashire and her husband settled very close to there after Catherine died and he had re-married.

I attach a photo of Catherine's youngest son for a family likeness although I do take the point this lady may not have been a family member.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for R Banks at the addresses shown in newspaper adverts, he appeared to be at those addresses approx. 1879 to 1900, can t find any proof he was there before or afterwards but he may have been so I agree with the other posters about date
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk