Author Topic: William John Lloyd, RAFVR, 909807 - What happened to him?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William John Lloyd, RAFVR, 909807 - What happened to him?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sc00p, Keitht & Imber,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated.

Sc00p, many thanks for the newspaper report, much appreciated.

I would agree with Imber that a mistake has clearly been made, whether by the newspaper and/or the family, we will probably never know.

My thanks for all assistance so far, its very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 October 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello John. I was researching a family member who was RAFVR. I found all the information I wanted in the BBC archives, believe it or not. Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/ which might help you. On this site you can search by squadron or base. Sometimes original loss findings are available. I thought that RAFVR were all volunteers from Commonwealth countries but that might by just my take.

Hope that helps you.

Del

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Del,

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
I have had a thought. If your relative was with the RAF in any way and was killed in WW2, Try the Runnymede Memorial site. All RAF personnel will be there if killed on active service. The link should be https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/109600/runnymede-memorial. This is CWGC of course. If he is there take a hint and go visit with a camera.

Del 

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
I have had a thought. If your relative was with the RAF in any way and was killed in WW2, Try the Runnymede Memorial site. All RAF personnel will be there if killed on active service. The link should be https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/109600/runnymede-memorial. This is CWGC of course. If he is there take a hint and go visit with a camera.

Del

He will not be named at Runnymede. That memorial commemorates those who were lost in the Second World War during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and North and Western Europe who have no known grave. Lloyd has a known grave.

Apart from that I might just mention that further to earlier discussion on this thread there are various references online to 29 Squadron Blenheims having amongst their crew an Aircraftman (AC1 or AC2) operating Airborne Interception (AI) Radar. These aircraft were the first radar equipped night fighters in the world.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Imber. I stand corrected. My uncle went missing in a Blenheim out in the North Sea, hence his mention at Runnymede. Well spotted.

Del

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Del & Imber,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David