Author Topic: What newspaper is referenced as CMC  (Read 7246 times)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What newspaper is referenced as CMC
« on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am looking at marriages and deaths on the website:
https://corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/potpourri/corkancestors.com/Deathsmarriages.htm

I am interested in a marriage referenced as (CMC 16/6/1802) (marriage Audley to Blair)

Clearly 16/6/1802 is the date but what is the publication referenced as CMC?

Are there archives somewhere of CMC so that I can check if the original has more information?

Thanks for your help

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What newspaper is referenced as CMC
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thanks for that and it probably explains why their first child was baptised in Liverpool England

Can you recomend a website where I can see a copu of 16th June 1802 on line?

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Newspapers.com have Cork Mercantile Chronicle. it is a subscription site but they offer "7 Day Free Trial"
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Chinapaddy,
Thanks for your reply
Whilst I accept that Newspaper.com has a '7 Day Free Trial' one has to enter ones Credit Card Details before they will give you the Free 7 days trial!!

Thanks for your help
GRO10a852

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »

I can just add some more information to what you have -

From Rosemary Ffolliot's Newspaper extracts available on microfiche at the Cork City Library

The following birth, marriage and death records  -

AUDLEY

CMC 16 June 1802 last week Capt. George Audley to Miss Blair of Bantry ( married at Christchurch June 11th)

SR  13 Nov 1819  Monday last in this city Lady Audley of a son       

CMI  27 Nov 1821 at his Lordship's house South Mall, on Friday evening the Right Hon. Lady Audley of a son

TC 14th Jan 1825 on the 11th inst in Cork Lady Audley of a son

TC   25 Feb 1825  on Tuesday 22inst. the infant boy of Lord Audley   ( possibly the death of their son born 14th Jan)

TC  26th July 1825  at Desert church on Saturday 23rd inst by the Rev. James M'Cheane,  Thomas Blair Patterson of Capinaweel Esq., in this Co. ( County) to Margaret Audley of Bantry.

Newspapers  TC  The Constitution (Cork)
                   CMI   Cork Morning Intelligence  ( published thrice weekly Tuesday, Thurs & Sat)
                    CMC you have already published thrice weekly Mon , Wed & Friday)

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Many thanks for your very interesting Message.  To me your message raises several question which I hope you don't mind me asking.

In your message you tell me what the abbreviations are for the various newspapers you have quoted from but you appear to have missed SR from the list. Can you please advise what S R stands for?

With regard to the birth recorded in SR 13th November 1819 this would be the birth of John Nicholas Thicknesse-Touchet. By this time the surname of the family who held the title of Lord Audley was Thicknesse-Touchet. It was John Nicholas Thicknesse-Touchet's elder brother George Edward Thicknesse-Touchet (born 26th January 1817) who became the 21st Lord Audley.

With regard the birth recorded in CMI 27th November 1821 this would be the birth of William Ross Thicknesse-Touchet. The announcement says that the birth took place at his Lordship's house South Mall.  Would you happen to know whether South Mall is in Cork? I would guess that they had houses in more than one location.

The birth and death in 1825 will be the announcement of the birth and death of James Thicknesse-Touchet.

The parents of the above three children were George Thicknesse-Touchet (20th Lord Audley) (1783 to 1837) and Anne Jane Donnelly (d 1855). They married in 1816 in Belgium.

The other two entries are the one's that really interest me.

Re the marriage that was recorded in CMC 16 June 1802 between Capt George Audley and Miss Blair of Bantry. I have managed to obtain a clip from the newspaper; but my clipping does not say that they were married at Christchurch on June 11th.
Where did you get this information about Christchurch from?
Where is Christchurch; is in Cork, Bantry or somewhere else?
Can you confirm that Miss Blair's christian name was Margaret from the information about the marriage?

I know that A George Audley, a gentleman and his wife Margaret late Blair baptised a son George Audley 1803 in Liverpool England and I believe that that the parents of this baptism are the two people recorded in CMC as marrying in 1802.
Do you know where there is a copy of the Christchurch Registers as this should confirm the brides Christian name as being Margaret?

With regard to the Marriage on Saturday 21st July 1825. I am assuming that the Margaret Audley who was married was a widow and is the Miss Blair who married Captan George Audley in 1802.
Where is Desert? The only place, that I can find with that name is North East of Cork in the Direction of the M8 and some 70 miles from Bantry! Is there another Desert nearer to Bantry?
Her husband is described as 'of Capinaweel'. I cannot find Capinaweel can you advise where it is or was?
If Margaret re-married in 1825 this raised the question what happened to her first husband Captain George Audley and her son George Audley. Can you make any suggestions?

Many thanks for you your help and please accept my apologies for the rather long reply

Regards
Brian Audley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Earls of Castlehaven

George Touchet, 1st Earl of Castlehaven and Baron Audley of Orier, 11th Baron Audley of Heleigh, 8th Baron Touchet (1551–1617)
    Mervyn Touchet, 2nd Earl of Castlehaven, 12th Baron Audley of Heleigh, 9th Baron Touchet (1593–1631) forfeit 1631, his English Barony of Audley of Heleigh, being descendible to heirs general was forfeited, but the Irish peerages were protected.
    James Touchet, 3rd Earl of Castlehaven, 1st Baron Audley of Hely, 13th Baron Audley of Heleigh (c. 1617–1684) In 1678 he had the English Barony of Audley of Heleigh restored to him with remainder "to his heirs for ever".
    Mervyn Touchet, 4th Earl of Castlehaven, 14th Baron Audley of Heleigh (d. 1686)
    James Touchet, 5th Earl of Castlehaven, 15th Baron Audley of Heleigh (d. 1700)
    James Touchet, 6th Earl of Castlehaven, 16th Baron Audley of Heleigh (d. 1740)
    James Touchet, 7th Earl of Castlehaven, 17th Baron Audley of Heleigh (1723–1769)

John Touchet, 8th Earl of Castlehaven, 18th Baron Audley of Heleigh (1724–1777)

The Earldom of Castlehaven and Baronies of Audley of Hely and Audley of Orier became extinct and the Barony of Audley of Heleigh passed to his nephew and heir.

http://www.europeanheraldry.org/united-kingdom/families/families-s-z/house-touchet/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.