Author Topic: What newspaper is referenced as CMC  (Read 7429 times)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What newspaper is referenced as CMC
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,
Thanks for your last two messages.

I do have a copy of the relevant pages of G E C's ' Complete Peerage'
Can  you please advise the source of the image that you attached to your second message as it states: 'I cannot pretend to have added much to it' ( i.e. to GEC's Complete Peerage) as I would like to investigate how much information your source has added to GEC's work.

Regards
Brian

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Over 5000 acres in county Cork, the propery of George Edward Thicknesse-Touchet, Barony Audley, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1852. The lands were located in the baronies of East and West Carbery. A further 1900 acres were offered for sale in November 1852. This latter sale notice includes a report by Mr. English on the Audley mines. Robert Nourragh was leasing some of this property in the parish of Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. A Landed Estates Court sale notice of November 1867 indicates that some 3000 acres of this estate had been purchased in 1852 by Thomas Saunders Cave, who was offering for sale in the 1867 notice.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Memoirs and anecdotes of Philip Thicknesse
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Memoirs and anecdotes of Philip Thicknesse, late lieutenant governor of Land Guard Fort, and unfortunately father to George Touchet, Baron Audley
by Thicknesse, Philip, 1719-1792

https://archive.org/details/memoirsanecdotes00thic/page/178

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 November 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,
Thanks for your last two messages.

Can  you please advise the source of the image that you attached to your second message as it states: 'I cannot pretend to have added much to it' ( i.e. to GEC's Complete Peerage) as I would like to investigate how much information your source has added to GEC's work.

Regards
Brian

It seems to be notes
https://archive.org/details/audleyfamily00read/page/n9

about the Pedigree he did
https://archive.org/details/audleypedigreesc00read

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 November 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I will try and answer some of your questions -

S.R stands for Southern Reporter (Cork newspaper)  first published twice weekly and later published thrice weekly.

I checked the entries on Rosemary Ffolliots newspaper extracts for "Blair" and there is a little extra information that confirms Margaret was the christian name of "Miss Blair" .
CMC (Cork Mercantile Chronicle) W (Wednesday)  "last week Capt. George Audley to Miss Blair of Bantry.(MLB Margaret Blair.  Married at Christchurch 11 Jne.)  MLB =  Marriage licence bonds.

I don't know if the Margaret Audley who married Thomas Blair Patteson on 23rd July 1825 was Capt. George Audley's widow.  You could be correct in thinking that.

South Mall was a very upmarket area of  Cork City in the 1800's.  See photo -

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/lawrencecollection/southmallfromparnellbridgehorse-drawntransport/

if you can't see it on the above link - just google it or go into www.corkpastandpresent.ie 

Christchurch is on the South Main Street in Cork City - It is called Holy Trinity church but known as Christchurch.  You asked me how I knew they married in Christchurch it says so in the newspaper extract. 

The Church of Ireland site   www.ireland.anglican.org  did have some records on their site but not many.    They are based in Dublin and hold most of the BMD records for the country however they don't do look ups.  You would need to visit their library. 

Registers held at the Church of Ireland Dublin -

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/rcb-library/list-of-parish-registers

I do have a book of Christchurch records for the years 1643-1669 which isn't any help to you.

Here is info on Cork Parish Registers ( Church of Ireland)

http://www.corkrecords.com/registers.htm

Desert is a civil parish in County Cork  see link -

https://www.townlands.ie/cork/desert/

From the Landed Estates records details of Blairs of Blairs Cove here-

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2490

I have tried to find "Capinaweel"  I think it might be a mis spelling and it seems like an English spelling for an Irish townland or area.   I tried the site  www.loganim.ie and didn't come up with anything sorry.

I found some Blair entries that might interest you .  I will send them on in a few minutes.

Mary.
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 November 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 November 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't have all the Blair entries from Rosemary Ffolliots newspaper extracts from the microfilm -

FDJ newspaper  Faulkner's Dublin Journal during the 18th century published twice weekly on
                        Tuesdays and Saturdays

30 Dec 1818  In Cork Mr. R. Bagley of that City to Martha youngest dau of the late
                        R. Blair Esq,  of Blair's Cove ( married at St. Finbarrs Dec 22)

Note *  Blair's Cove is in Durrus  which is quite near Bantry.

HC Hibernian Chronicle  - 1 Feb 1790   - last Saturday at the parish church of Skull  (Current spelling is Schull)  in this Co. Richard Blair junr Esq of the Abbey near Bantry to Miss Elizabeth Lewis of Lowertown.

SR Southern Reporter - 3 Mar 1827  On Tuesday 1st at O'Donovan's Cove by the Rev. Alcock

and afterwards by the Rev. Richard Quinn P.P (Parish Priest R.C.)Richard Blair Esq of Blair's Cove in this co. to Catherine 3rd dau of the late Richard O'Donovan of Donovan's cove in the
 co. Esq.

Note *  Donovan's cove is at Kealties, Durrus, near Bantry.

CA  -Cork Advertiser 11 Nov 1813  on Monday last at Douglas church ( this would be St. Lukes church of Ireland) by Rev. Mr. Busteed  William Blair Esq. to the widow McMinn.

That's it,
Mary

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 November 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »

Well done Hallmark.  I'd say you are right with that.  Looks good location wise.

Mary