Author Topic: Confustion  (Read 566 times)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confustion
« on: Saturday 22 September 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.
I'm slightly confused about something.  Can anyone please explain something to me. I might sound a bit daft.
But I just can't seem to get round this.
As everyone knows I've been doing my family background for a while now. And with a lot of help I've found out alot about my family which I had no idea about.  When I got my grandparents marriage certificate.  It had my grandfathers   dad's name on. Which began to confuse me the reason for that was because  my grandads birth name is Alfred evan Jones.  His mum's name is Frances Jones.  Which would be obvious.  Even though  she wasn't married before or after my grandad was born  on my grandparents marriage certificate it says the name of my grandads birth father.  Which is john jones.  I know there's a john jones in my great gran Frances Jones family  but it was further on before she was born.  John jones  the one I know about  is the son of James Jones who married a lady called mary Taylor in 1927. They had 3 son's  George. John and Peter.

This is where I'm  slightly confused. 
I have been told that  my grandads father was found in the bathroom. I assume he passed away.  He was living with my great gran Frances Jones.  But  she wasn't married to him.  So how can it be possible 

That my great gran Frances Jones has the same surname Jones as John jones  if they wasn't married?   

And also  acording to what I've been reading.  John jones  is my maternal great grandfather. And my great gran Frances Jones is my maternal great granmother. 

I have been told that john jones is my great grandad.

I don't even know what the difference is between  maternal and paternal.  I was told what it was but I just really can't  remember. 

If there's anyone who can help me with these I would really appreciate it.
Thank you all again for your time and help.

Dorothy

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confustion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I'm looking at your family tree right now.

As you know Jones is a very common surname and people have lots of difficulty researching that name.

Here are some possible answers.

Frances Jones had Alfred when she wasn't married and when Alfred grew up and married Eveline, he pretended his father was John Jones to make himself look more respectable and not obviously illegitimate. When he was born in 1914, it wasn't the done thing to have a baby out of wedlock.

Of course Alfred's father really could have been John Jones but maybe he didn't want to acknowledge Alfred as his son. Or maybe his name was just John and Frances pretended to be married.

Maybe Frances got pregnant and the father went off to world war one and was killed before the baby was born so she couldn't marry him and called him John Jones to look repectable.

This is one of the things you may never be able to find out.

I've locked this topic as we have covered this many times before and I don't want people to spend their time doing look-ups when you have all the information.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea