Author Topic: John COOK  (Read 2758 times)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John COOK
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 September 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
I think I have found him. Details from Familysearch website.
John Cook, age 34, joiner per "Marco Polo" dep Liverpool 5/11/1853 arr Melbourne 29/8/1853.
Also listed with him John Pendleton, 27, joiner. There were 640 adults on this voyage.
Perhaps they were friends and decided to travel together. There were advertising campaigns in those days encouraging people with skills to travel to Victoria.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 September 18 04:18 BST (UK) »
Apologies.. I think should be departed Liverpool Aug/1853 arr Melbourne 5/11/1853
shume

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 September 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
Good find - I've never been able to find passenger info on FamilySearch.  Can you please post the URL?

Wondering why this info does not seem to be on the on-line Victorian immigration indexes - I can't see it anyway (could be me!)

I can't see any mention on TROVE of the Marco Polo being in Melbourne in November 1853 - usually there are many mentions of shipping. 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 September 18 06:52 BST (UK) »
This is the inscription that you see?

"John Cook who died in Melbourne Victoria buried 17 November 1854"

What is the inscription immediately above it....names dates etc.

An inscription would usually give a date of death, not date of burial?

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 September 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPWS-64VR is the link to the shipping record for John Cook and John Pendleton. Note: Family search has the departure date after the arrival date, and this has come from PROV Victoria Inwards Passenger lists 1839-1923.
shume

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

Thank you to my friends across the world for their diligence and expertise in tracing John Cook  - I found that his wife Margaret Cook did not remarry and died in 1890.  I did not think about passenger lists on family search at all, I have a better idea of what happened with John Cook and family. 

Rootschatters unitied....!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you shume for the URL. I wonder if he was travelling with John Pendleton.   Very interesting that this record does not seem to appear on the PROV Victorian shipping indexes - I can't see it any way.  And I still don't know how to access the shipping records on FamilySearch.

Pleased that R'chat was able to help you Annette128

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you shume for the URL. I wonder if he was travelling with John Pendleton.   Very interesting that this record does not seem to appear on the PROV Victorian shipping indexes - I can't see it any way.  And I still don't know how to access the shipping records on FamilySearch.

Pleased that R'chat was able to help you Annette128

Judith

Judith, if you a looking for someone who travelled to Australia, in Family Search put in person’s name and select Australia as the country.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion Jamjar - that's what I did with John COOK but it came up with nothing except a list of BMDS, even though I then filtered it to travel (or immigration or whatever the filter is.)

Will have another go later.  Judith