Author Topic: "Johannes Poynter" Register Burial Barrow on Humber, 1662.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Johannes Poynter" Register Burial Barrow on Humber, 1662.
« on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I cannot quite understand what a translation would be for the Latin word after the name of "Johannes Poynter" here. It is definitely not "filius" meaning "son".
It does not look like "pater", meaning father either.
To me the word looks like (something) followed by "pebs":

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=823285&iid=37370

If anyone has any idea at all I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Johannes Poynter" Register Burial Barrow on Humber, 1662.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Looking at one of the other records, it may be Caelebs which means single.

David

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Johannes Poynter" Register Burial Barrow on Humber, 1660/61.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
As David says, the word is 'cælebs' (sometimes found as 'celebs'), meaning unmarried. I'm not sure of the exact nuance this would have had in the 1660s, but my classical Latin dictionary suggests that it could mean either bachelor or widower. Anyway, at least you know that he himself didn't leave a widow.

Incidentally, the link you gave is correct, but the date of the burial was 28 Jan 1660/61. It was a busy month.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at one of the other records, it may be Caelebs which means single.

David

Thank you very much.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Johannes Poynter" Register Burial Barrow on Humber, 1660/61.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
As David says, the word is 'cælebs' (sometimes found as 'celebs'), meaning unmarried. I'm not sure of the exact nuance this would have had in the 1660s, but my classical Latin dictionary suggests that it could mean either bachelor or widower. Anyway, at least you know that he himself didn't leave a widow.

Incidentally, the link you gave is correct, but the date of the burial was 28 Jan 1660/61. It was a busy month.

Thank you very much,

Do you think that I can rule out this person as being aged 12 or 13 years?
I ask because there was a baptism in Barrow of a Jonas Pointer, baptised in 1648.
I have been trying to find the baptism of my 8x great granddad Jonas Pointer in Barrow:

Some trees on Ancestry have his date of baptism as being the 16th of October 1662. But I haven't been able to find that baptism in the original register, so don't know where that date has come from.
He married Katherine Nelson in Barrow on the 29th of June 1682.

Cheers.  :)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
I ask because there was a baptism in Barrow of a Jonas Pointer, baptised in 1648.
I have been trying to find the baptism of my 8x great granddad Jonas Pointer in Barrow:

Practices may vary from one parish to another, but I think someone aged 12 or 13 would most likely have been defined as 'son of'. In one parish I've come across 'adolescens' with no mention of his father, which seems to be a youth of around 18-20, but I think 'cælebs' will be an adult, ie 21 and upwards.

In any case, Johannes and Jonas aren't the same name - Johannes is John and Jonas is either unchanged in English, or Jonah.

Some trees on Ancestry have his date of baptism as being the 16th of October 1662. But I haven't been able to find that baptism in the original register, so don't know where that date has come from.

I can't see that baptism either, though it might be worth trying to track down the bishop's transcripts, as entries sometimes appear in them that aren't in the parish register, and vice versa.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:50 BST (UK) »

Practices may vary from one parish to another, but I think someone aged 12 or 13 would most likely have been defined as 'son of'. In one parish I've come across 'adolescens' with no mention of his father, which seems to be a youth of around 18-20, but I think 'cælebs' will be an adult, ie 21 and upwards.

In any case, Johannes and Jonas aren't the same name - Johannes is John and Jonas is either unchanged in English, or Jonah.

I can't see that baptism either, though it might be worth trying to track down the bishop's transcripts, as entries sometimes appear in them that aren't in the parish register, and vice versa.

Much obliged.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
family search
has five separate Jonas pointers all at barrow
rayb

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
family search
has five separate Jonas pointers all at barrow
rayb

Oh thank you,

I was wandering about "family search". The trouble is I haven't been able to get onto there for over a year. I can't even get onto it at the local library.
It is something to do with Internet explorer.
Is there one on there with a baptism dated 1662 by any chance please?

Thank you.  :)