Author Topic: What has Rootschat done for you?  (Read 11605 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: What has Rootschat done for you?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
The best and most friendly user and helpful FH Site. 24/7 constant interest even if most not related to ones own researches. Learn more from RC than anywhere else.

Have to mention Forest of Dean Family History Trust which covers FofD but overlaps into adjacent counties. Same plaudits apply.

can't say the same for some other counties I would be interested in.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
   I see I joined in 2011, at the recommendation of IgorStrav, while we were corresponding about our joint ancestry. As others have said, it feels like a group of friends, especially on the TOT boards, and there are experts on so many subjects, always there to share their knowledge.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 September 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Almost 8 years ago (4th October to be precise) I joined RootsChat with a query regarding my father's mother's family in Jersey.

Got a very helpful reply from Hill.

I get a buzz out of helping others, so I made Marquessate a few years ago ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I just checked and I joined Rootschat in 2004.  It is by far by favourite website.  I look forward to sitting down at the end of the day with a cuppa and reading the posts, helping where I can and learning such a lot from the experts.

Lyn

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
I thought I`d joined this wonderful site when I was still at work, which I left in 2002, but when I checked I didn`t join until 2006.

I can`t rememeber now how I found it, but I`m sure it would have been for help with my Lincolnshire family.

Thanks everyone for all the help I`ve received over the years.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Feb 2012 for me, literally a few weeks after i started my new hobby. I knew nothing!!!

Had masses of friendly and helpful advice, and help, from many people on a number of boards (must mention Orielbenfro - no longer with us - who went out of his way to help and even drove to a couple of cemeteries to take some photos). Would probably have given up without the help and progress made thanks to Rootschat.

Still have a few brickwalls to knockdown 🙄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
I joined in 2006.
Rootschat has given me recipe ideas, gardening advice, links to some distant 'cousins', friends worldwide (one I've met a couple of times), help with laptop problems, some restored photos, the opportunity to appear in some virtual pantos..............and lots of help with my family tree. Helped to distract me during stressful times;  thank you.  :-*
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I joined Rootschat in 2007 - afraid I can't remember how I got here.   Checked my profile today and found the first post I'd made where I'd tried to help someone.   

Their ancestor had been born in Wakefield, Yorkshire ca.1887 but they were being 'lured' to another of similar name born in Deeping, Lincolnshire.   I suggested the birth entry for this person was in Dec.1886 Wakefield and 11 years on sure this is the right entry.   With the GRO's own index now available, showing the birth was illegitimate (as many of us suspected) and the subsequent release of the 1911 census where the 'ancestor' is listed by his birth Christian name I'm now convinced that the Wakefield birth is the right one.

The OP hasn't been on Rootschat since 2009 plus I found just one online tree that incorrectly shows said individual with a birthdate in 1887 and linking him to the couple who had their son born in Deeping, Lincolnshire - shown with them on 1891 and 1901 census as born in Deeping when the subject of the OP's thread was living with another family in 1891 and 1901 as born in Wakefield, Yorkshire!!

So, should anyone come across this thread in the future I've today added my conclusions and hopefully, as I suggested back in 2007, the birth certificate of the one born in Wakefield should be obtained to ascertain just who the mother was so that the right family line can be researched and not the one the online tree is researching.   

One tries ones best, but 11 years on this individual has been linked to a family that wasn't his - I've no idea whether the submitter of the tree is the same one who'd posted on Rootschat, I only know that linking him to a family whose children were all born in Deeping, Lincolnshire was wrong then and still wrong now.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
   I see I joined in 2011, at the recommendation of IgorStrav, while we were corresponding about our joint ancestry. As others have said, it feels like a group of friends, especially on the TOT boards, and there are experts on so many subjects, always there to share their knowledge.

I was just going to say that I always recommend EVERYBODY who I contact via family history research to look at Rootschat, and I am so glad to see that my (remoteish  ;)) cousin Top-of-the-Hill joined on that recommendation.

I have been around on this forum since 2005 - which is hard to believe - although funnily enough I was corresponding on A***y only tonight with someone in Vancouver with whose Mum I corresponded extensively in (I now find) 2009/2010. 

Some lovely people here on the Photo Board restored some of her pictures, and - having sadly discovered that as I feared, she died a couple of years ago - I looked at those photos and shed a tear.

I too remember Rabbit, she was always so fond of horses, and PaulaToo where are you?

I joined on a recommendation from the BBC board, and there are still chatters whose names I remember from there.

Such help.  The Mysterious Corkes in Kent, which put me in touch with Royd and two more Australian relatives of that fascinating and totally frustrating family.

I have tried to help other people, but in no way have I helped others as much as I have been helped.

Thank you all.  And Tristan and Sarah.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex