Author Topic: What has Rootschat done for you?  (Read 11609 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: What has Rootschat done for you?
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
I looked to see when I joined and it was in April 2009. Where has all that time gone?

It is lovely to see that a lot of the people who were here when I first joined are still here.
Some though have disappeared and I so hope they are ok.

That's the only problem isn't it - you suddenly think. "Oh xxxxxx hasn't posted for ages." I guess, unless friends or relatives know passwords, there would be no way of letting RC know if anything had happened to them.  :'(
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
That's true, groom. Not only do they need to know the password, but also to realise how much of a community this is.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 15 October 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
We do get contacted by family members by email, or by the 'Contact Support' button, and by post too.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 15 October 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
   I have put some information about websites I use with my will. Now all the children have to do is find it!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
I've learned a lot from RootsChat, I've had a lot of help, given a lot of help and it's kept me informed. It's inspired me to take on projects following up on research on here.

Blue

Online josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
   I have put some information about websites I use with my will.
Me too - I call it my digital will. Also have left instructions for Mr Josey or a son to post on the 'Common Room' here, so you'll know when I'm gone  ;D.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
   I have put some information about websites I use with my will.
Me too - I call it my digital will. Also have left instructions for Mr Josey or a son to post on the 'Common Room' here, so you'll know when I'm gone  ;D.

I don't think anyone would do that for me although probably a bonus to everyone if I wasn't coming in.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
I have had a wonderful half hour reading these posts. I joined RC in 2015, so a relative newbie! The site was recommended by a friend who posts on here.

I had been trying to find out what had happened to my half siblings after they left UK in 1959. It was a shock to find I had them in the first place! It didn't take long before a kind person found their mothers obituary and there they were as large as life.... we did meet in 2016, just the once as it involved flying to California but sadly that's been it.. Still we discovered info and photos we shared and now there are no more question to be  asked and wondered over.

I'm really grateful for the help I've had on that and other queries I've had too. So many knowledgeable people on here and all for free.
This is how social interactions should be helpful, fun, friendly and much more besides.
So I thank the originators of this site and they should feel really proud for providing such a great site for the benefit of all.

I enjoy dropping into Chat too and feel I've made some good friends there too.

One day. Might have the knowledge/ confidence to help others...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 05:49 BST (UK) »
I started with Rootschat in 2010, and after making simple errors like not providing sufficient information to start with  :-[ have received much information I could not on my own. As has been stated, too close to the action to see the bigger picture.

Also a great thank you to the photo restoration people, especially those who took the time and effort to restore a photo of my MIL as a baby. Brilliant

And thanks the Tristan and Sarah for creating the website in the first place. I would have great difficulty sorting out some ancestors without Rotschat.