Author Topic: What has Rootschat done for you?  (Read 11695 times)

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What has Rootschat done for you?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
It has given me family.

I recommend this site to anyone who has ever asked me which site is good for information for resources.

It makes me smile when I go back on posts that I have been able to help with.

All I can say is that I have learned so much through this site on where to research, that I finally found my Mum's twin sister (they were separated) and found my aunties children, my 6 cousins.  I was able to help find my half sisters full brother who was adopted.  Then 8 years after investigating this 'Mack' line, and finally being able to visit my Grandmothers grave I had asked a question about the grave as there was no headstone to be told that it was not a pauper grave, she had been buried by a member of the family!!!!! Turned out this was a half brother to my mother and her twin that we had no idea existed .  From this person who had 2 children (another 2 cousins :)  )  and finally a photo of my Grandmother and stories about her and her parents who I have come to know so well from census and newspapers.

We are having a family reunion next year...

I think the rootschatters are amazing... such a friendly welcoming bunch of people..  Thank you Trystan and Sarah.
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
I could echo a fair number of the sentiments expressed so far.In my case I am convinced it has helped my brain stay active while a part of it dies off,and,where would I have been this last couple of years,as the nights draw in,without the panto of the "gloriously bonkers" Theatre Production Company?

Regards
Roger

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 05:27 BST (UK) »
Helped me feel less lonely. Especially as people on here understand when I get excited by a new find.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Rootschat has been part of my life since 4 February 2006 when Patricia (Jones the Search) took just over half an hour to help me with a French Huguenot question and I was amazed. In recent years “Life” as interfered a bit and limited my appearances but I can never forget the help received, the fun I’ve had and the friends I’ve made and in many cases met. I too remember dear Rabbit and the hilarity we shared as we both tried to get the hang of photo restoration and all the help we received from Paula, Gadget and Pels (3 of many) on the photo board whilst we mucked around trying, and invariably failing, to improve the pics.

Also I can never forget my distant cousin in Australia, Charlotte, now sadly no longer with us. Charlotte and I had originally “found” each other in early 2006 via a Manchester Surnames board, then I discovered Rootchat (cannot remember how), I signed up and suggested Charlotte did the same. She joined the day after me and so many of our mutual Yorkshire family history questions were answered. I’d like to think we helped a bit too. And then there were the TOT boards, once I’d plucked up enough courage to say something. Yes - in addition to the wealth of knowledge readily shared on here, the friendship of Rootschat has helped me through some difficult times and I will always be so grateful for that.

Maggie

PS.   Excellent thread GS - it’s good to remember.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
When my mother was receiving chemo she made a chance remark about her mother, this sent me to look up my grandmother's birth the next time up to London, this in fact started the whole procedure of family tree hunting, I met a lovely lady who I met for lunch every Tuesday  in Middleton Street, Meliora by name, over the years she guided me to different sites for other research, it was she who told me about Rootschat, so in 2005 I joined Rootschat and have been a member ever since, I don't profess to know as much as so many other RC'ers but I help a bit and often ask advice, it is good fun and very interesting and have got to know a lot of interesting people but only by name, in my mind a subject that almost never has an end, most of us have a brick wall of some kind or another, I am hoping the 1921 will reveal my lost soul.
Meliora  has since passed on and I suspect many might even remember her, she was very knowledgeable
I often wonder what I would be doing if I hadn't have taken up this hobby
Keep up the good work RC'ers

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
AND

how many of us  are now 'smiling from within' reading these wonderful posts...

OOOO u2 Sarah and Trystan.. bless you xxxxxxxxxxxx

fillin up

xxxxxxxxxxxx

ps  dont ever ever dare alter the formatt again.. it scared me to death to switch on and find things in silly places that time.. :) :)  ha ha ha
xin

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 27 September 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this thread GS.

I see I joined in January 2009 - so almost 10 years ago.   I endorse all of what has been said - lots of help lots of brickwalls broken down and some extra family found.   

So many friends made and Photos restored while learning all the time.

My one biggest brickwall remains just that - I don't think the information is out there as so many very knowledgeable people have searched.

The TOT boards have been such fun along the way.

Many thanks to Trystan and Sarah for the site and for keeping it running so smoothly, and to all who have helped with all my queries.   I hope I have been able to help occasionally too.

Wiggy

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
AND

OOOO u2 Sarah and Trystan.. bless you xxxxxxxxxxxx

ps  dont ever ever dare alter the formatt again.. it scared me to death to switch on and find things in silly places that time.. :) :)  ha ha ha
xin

Really had to second ( third... fouth) Xin's comment ( and said by so many others too) well run, well managed to the correct degree especially online where comments can get way out of hand or plain and simply nasty in too many online forums and to achieve this balance is much, MUCH more than luck. Thank you to the two of you as well as the hard working people who manage each section.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 27 September 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Rootschat has given me access to all sorts of genealogy advice. The members and moderators are great and very helpful without exception.

I always mention Rootschat to people exploring family history for first time and a long time!!