Author Topic: Salome Mary Doyle nee (Mary Plunkett) - born 1900 or 1901  (Read 6339 times)

Offline dannydo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salome Mary Doyle nee (Mary Plunkett) - born 1900 or 1901
« on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Everyone,

In response to a number of replies to my original post, which I greatly appreciate, I have made some changes to the original detail and wording, which I hope will clear up some of the confusion that I seem to have created with the initial draft - ("Not for the first time", I hear my wife saying).
However, in mitigation, when writing the  original version of my post, I should explain that I was half a bottle of Champagne and one pint of beer into the day, by way of celebrating said wife's birthday.

Please note that details that I have confirmed that details I have provided for household that I have shortlisted as a possible match for my maternal grandmother, Mary Thresa Plunkett and great grandparents, John and Mary Plunkett were taken from the 1911 Irish census.

Oh yes, the years given in the subject have been corrected to now read "1900 or 1901", rather than the incorrect "1900 or 1902" typo given in the original.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me with researching my family history, in particular that of my grandmother who, a few weeks before my 3rd birthday in 1948,  became my adoptive single-parent following the death of my mother, Mary Violet Skelly, nee Doyle.
Born out of wedlock on June 12th 1945, my birth certificate shows me as being  named, Dennis Doyle, but for as long as I can remember I have always been , known as “Danny Doyle”.

My Grandmother, having been named at birth as, Mary Plunkett,  took to prefixing her name at some time following  her marriage to Thomas Patrick Doyle in 1922 in Birkenhead, with “Salome”. In fact, her death certificate in I994 records her name as, Salome Mary Doyle.

The fact that there  was very little that I ever learned about the family’s history as I grew up  makes the task of tracing my ancestry quite a challenge,  particularly when it comes to establishing exactly when and where my grandmother was born.

Based on the details recorded in her marriage certificate, what I know with a reasonable degree of certainty is that my grandmother was 21 years old when she got married in Birkenhead, Cheshire to my grandfather, Thomas Patrick Doyle,  on the 23rd September 1922. 

It also interesting to note that my grandmother’s first names are shown as Mary Violet on the marriage certificate.

My grandfather’s age is also given as 21, with occupation being “Letter Carrier G.P.O” on the marriage certificate. The certificate also shows that my paternal great grandfather was shown as, Thomas Doyle, occupation “Cycle Agent”, with my maternal great grandfather being named as, John Plunkett (deceased), occupation “Farmer”.

The other facts that I can be  certain of is that my maternal grandmother, Mary (?Violet?) Doyle nee Plunkett gave birth to at least 3 children, the first being my mother, Violet Mary Doyle who was born in Birkenhead on July 10th 1923; my aunt, Veronica Mary Doyle born in 1927 in Drogheda Ireland, and my uncle, Oliver G. Doyle born in in 1930 also in Drogheda, but who died before his third birthday in Drogheda 1933.

Based on my firm belief that my grandmother was born in Ireland either in 1900 or 1901, from the details presented above, I attempted to find out where she might have been born. My research has narrowed down likely locations to one household in particular, details of which, taken from the April 1911 Irish census are as follows:

Name                        Relation          Age       Comment
John Plunkett             Head of Family  40     Married 13 years. (My great grandfather?)
Mary Plunkett            Wife                  31     Nee McGuiness. (My great grandmother?)
Oliver Plunkett           Son                  12
Mary Thresa Plunkett  Daughter          10     Thresa or Theresa?
                                                                 (Salome Mary Doyle? my grandmother?)
Lizzie Plunkett            Daughter            8      Lizzie or Elizabeth?
Maggie Plunkett          Daughter            6     Maggie or Margaret
John Plunkett              Son                   4
Katherina Plunkett       Daughter          11 months

It really would be of great help to hear from anyone who can trace their ancestry to, or knows anything about,  the above household in order to establish whether or not the Mary Thresa Plunkett named was indeed my grandmother. Of course, it would be equally helpful to know more about my grandfather and great grandfather on the Doyle side of the family.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salome Mary Doyle nee (Mary Plunkett) - born 1900 or 1902
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 18 09:00 BST (UK) »
I went looking for family on Census.... don't see them!

These are for children up to 10.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mrl/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
I did this search.....no Oliver

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Danny and welcome to Rootschat

Is this grandmother’s death?
Salome Mary Doyle 1994 Croydon - birthdate 6th April 1900

Birthdates on death certificates can be wrong as it depends on the informant’s kknowledge and birth dates can be wrong because the person themselves is not sure or alters it.

Have you looked at Irish Genealogy for a likely person?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mrm/

Where was your grandmother living in 1939?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
You can try searching for any of those children marrying when they were approx 20/25

Just go to https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp  and put in Name and relevant year ranges

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Where was Thomas Patrick Doyle her husband born?
Why did they move to Drogheda? Did one or both come from that area?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 September 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
There's at least one Ancestry online tree which shows Thomas Patrick Doyle, children & wife along with her Plunkett family which indicates the Doyles and Plunketts both originated in County Cavan. However, many of the details don't add u to original post. For example- children include Veronica Mary (d.2005 & her family listed) & Oliver G. but there's a younger girl and 2 younger boys with no mention of Violet.

It might be that someone has attached the wrong records to their tree  :-\

I did find this in the LDS indexes (too recent for Irish Genealogy certificates)-
Veronica Mary Doyle born 1927 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F1S5-8YW
Oliver G. Doyle born 1930 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F13T-KPP
Oliver Doyle died 1933 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTVY-VJ7

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!