Author Topic: Stork/Love Johannesburg  (Read 1018 times)

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stork/Love Johannesburg
« on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am searching for further information of my G Uncle Thomas Stork and his family.
Thomas b 1872 East Yorkshire, England married Alice Shurville in Jo'burg 1908. I have found the baptisms of 3 of their 4 children in 1910(Aukland Park), 1914 (Standerton) and 1915 (Standerton). Their last son is likely to have been born around 1917/18. I do have the names for all of these. I know that Florence May Stork married Denis E Love, a naval officer, date unknown and they had 2 boys around 1940.
Thomas was a policeman & on one of the baptismal records he was 'Head Constable' SAP. The family story is that he was (Deputy?) Chief Constable of Johannesburg - is this the same as Head Constable?
All the children appear to be still alive in 1961 as they are all listed on the Death Notices for both Thomas (1953) and Alice (1961) although the witness for the latter is another unknown member of the family.
I have addresses for Florence in 1944 (East Rand), Thomas about the same time in Orange Grove, and where Thomas & Alice were both living for there respective deaths.
I am particularly interested in knowing more about the 4 children and whether Thomas really was in charge of the police in Jo'burg.
Any help would be much appreciated..

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stork/Love Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Is there a reason that you've only mentioned one of the childrens names as you did say that you wanted to know things about the children? The youngest might have been for privacy reasons,but I'm not too sure about the other two.
Do you want us to keep them anonymous as well? I can't see a another reason for us having to perform unnecessary groundwork before being able to answer any of your questions.

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
I was being cautious with my information as it is around the 100 year mark. Eldest was Raymond John & the third child was Dorothy. The youngest as I'm not sure of his DOB could be later than 1918 but initials are LS.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
The youngest son:
Leslie Shurville b 9/9/1920 Johannesburg Transvaal, d 24/01/2011(estate via GRAHAMSTOWN MASTERS OFFICE, CP), grave: http://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=2791501

X  02-01-1959 CP (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTWM-S7TT?i=45&cc=1468076 )

Margaret Woodroffe (nee Whitely) b 04-10-1915 Johannesburg Transvaal, d 5-5-97, grave: http://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=2791504

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your finds. I had searched using 'familysearch' and not found anything for Leslie. Obviously I was looking in the wrong places or not using the correct details. Am I likely to find the other graves using the graves at the eggsa site?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 14:36 BST (UK) »

Raymond John Stork b 25-01-1910, died 21-05-2007 Benoni (estate via North Gauteng High Court)
X 13 Jul 1940  Transvaal (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9T7T-QH74?i=48&cc=1468076 )
Jessie Esperance Mifanwy Reeves b abt 1921 England, d 20-06-2015 (estate via Johannesburg Masters Office)

I suspect that Dorothy might have never married and that she and Florence died before 2008. Florence's husband Denis died on 21-06-2001 (estate via North Gauteng High Court). A male Love was mentioned as an Executor on the estate index for Denis ... I suppose that it could be a son.

You can try searching the EGGSA site for more graves yourself, but I believe that there won't be anymore hits (for now). 

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for the information. A letter to my Grandmother written in 1944 from Florence talks of a Jessie so that would fit with the marriage. She also mentions Dorothy & I just got the feeling, although nothing is said, that maybe she was not married, at that stage, so I tend to agree with you.
Your help is much appreciated.
Any thoughts on how I can confirm Thomas Stork as the 'Chief Constable of Johannesburg'? I did look into searching newspapers thinking that he might appear there but without success.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 15:24 BST (UK) »

Could Thomas have ended up in SA because of the Boer War? A Private Thomas Stork enlists with the “Imperial Light Infantry” on 08-11-1899 en is discharged on 15-01-01 ( https://www.angloboerwar.com/images/multithumb_thumbs/c325c05f9557791295b5366fe21fb408.JPG ).
Note: There is also a T Stork with the Gordon Highlanders, but I don’t think he is a probable candidate

Another entry gives a private Thomas Stork with the “Rand Rifles” (“This corps was raised towards the end of 1900, and was generally employed on the defences of Johannesburg and of posts in the surrounding district. They saw some skirmishing and some sharp attacks on posts, but they were not in any big engagement, and had few opportunities of gaining distinction. The corps remained on service till the end of the war. The Rand Rifles Mine Guards helped to protect the goldmines against destruction”, source: https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/460-rand-rifles )

I’m wondering whether both entries might refer to the same person (your Thomas?) and whether the stint with the Rand Rifles might have led to a job in the SAP?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 16:11 BST (UK) »

Still not exactly what you were asking for, but I thought that the following 4 entries from the SA archives might be of interest ...

For all 4 entries:
DEPOT TAB (Transvaal Archives Depot)
SOURCE LD (Secretary to the Law Department (1900 - 1925))
TYPE LEER (correspondence file)

VOLUME_NO 369
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE AG1168/03
PART 1
DESCRIPTION APPLICATION FOR LEAVE - SERGEANT STORK, JOHANNESBURG POLICE.
STARTING 1903
ENDING 1903
-
VOLUME_NO 911
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 10928
PART 1
DESCRIPTION LEAVE, SERGEANT T STORK, TRANSVAAL TOWN POLICE.
STARTING 1907
ENDING 1907
-
VOLUME_NO 1422
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE AG1822/07
PART 1
DESCRIPTION APPLICATION FOR 120 DAYS VACATION LEAVE - SERGEANT T STORK.
STARTING 1907
ENDING 1907
-
VOLUME_NO 1451
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE AG1993/07
PART 1
DESCRIPTION APPLICATION OF SERGEANT T STORK AND CONSTABLE J MCREEDY FOR STEAMSHIP CONCESSION TICKETS.
STARTING 1907
ENDING 1907