Author Topic: 40 +years finding William Aston Born 1839  (Read 3228 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 40 +years finding William Aston Born 1839
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
philipsearching   you say this is most likely to be him -
Jun qtr 1838 Birmingham vol 16 p337 ASTON William - no mmn.

but there are possibly 6 who might be him. 
Dec 1838 Wolverhampton (I don't know whereabouts in Birmingham area he was born - I am presuming most likely to be Birmingham area but could be outlying districts)
March 1839  Birmingham
June 1839    Birmingham
Sept 1839   Kings Norton (Joseph Twist has some connection with Kings Norton, not saying he was the father but maybe that is where he met Emma)
Sept 1839   Wolverhampton.

So unless I can find him with a mother named Emma, who knows which one he is, or if any of them.   

I'd settle for finding the birth details of his older brother John if I have to accept I will never find any more details going back on William.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 September 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
Is the 1838 birth, that Philip suggested, one of those you have already tried?  It’s the only one of those you have listed that has a mother with the maiden name Aston.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 18 22:50 BST (UK) »

Lily M

philipsearching wrote this :
Joseph Twists birth reg gives mmn as Aston
TWIST, JOSEPH       mmn ASTON     
1849  March Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 16  Page 338

Ah.  In that case the most likely birth would be:
Jun qtr 1838 Birmingham vol 16 p337 ASTON William - no mmn.

But the birth entry which gave the mother's maiden name was for Joseph born 1849 - the son of Joseph Twist and Emma Aston, as shown on the 1851 census.

There is no mother's maiden name given for this William June 1838 so who knows who his mother is.   
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 September 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
From what has been said, Emma's maiden name was Aston and although living with Joseph Twist they were never married i.e. any children born before she got together with him would have been Aston and would show as illegitimate in the new GRO index i.e. no mmn given (as is the case with the birth entry you've been given).   This must be your William Aston's birth entry as none of the other 'possibilities' had a mmn of Aston.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 September 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
You say Emma Aston died 1859 and that on her death certificate her father is given as William Aston, watercarrier.   I'm intrigued as fathers aren't normally stated on death certificates (unless you mean he was the informant of her death).   I cannot find a William Aston on census who was a watercarrier either.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
I have noted births of 2 in 1838 and 4 in 1839 but cannot afford to be sending for all those birth certificates to find if 'my' William Aston is one of them.   It would need to say his mother was Emma.

All you do is fill out the birth certificate order form, say 'no' to having a reference number, and fill it out like my example below.

If you are unable to trace or do not have the index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process.

If none of the births in those years 1838-1840 have a mother named as Emma then you will receive a refund and no certificate.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

Debra  :)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
I feel I am missing something here that folks are trying to tell me !
Annette7      You say:   This must be your William Aston's birth entry as none of the other 'possibilities' had a mmn of Aston.
     Which William Aston birth ?    Because none of the 6 that I gave have a mother's maiden name.(taken from FreeBMD).    And wasn't it some years after 1837 before the mothers maiden name was given anyway ?

You say about the odd fact on Emma's death certificate her father is listed - that is another long tale that a professional researcher discovered !    Nothing is straight-forward or easy with this William Aston !

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
The Jun qtr 1838 birth registration which has been suggested to you is the only one with no separate mother’s maiden name listed; the only surname on the registration is Aston. This implies that the birth is an illegitimate one to a mother whose surname is Aston.

All the others are indexed with mother’s maiden names other than Aston, which are not a match for his brother’s birth which tells you that Emma’s maiden name was Aston.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 September 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
avm228      It sounds as if I am missing something significant here   -   where are you finding this information that gives the mother's maiden name ?     Because in FreeBMD website, as I say, there is no mmn given for any of the 6 possible births.   

Thank you to Dundee Debra   for her helpful information on sending for certificates.