Author Topic: Welsh DNA links to Flemish invaders - Roche, but also Sinnott etc?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Welsh DNA links to Flemish invaders - Roche, but also Sinnott etc?
« on: Monday 24 September 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Extremely interested to see that there has just been a DNA link between Pembrokeshire and Flemish invaders.  The surname in the article is ROCHE, however there are a number of other family names that followed this same route to Pembrokeshire, and then on to Ireland, including SINNOTT (more often as SINNETT in Wales, originally probably SYNATH but with quite a lot of variant spellings now).

I'd be keen to know what haplogroup the Roche test showed.   Also very keen to get SINNETT male descendants into the Sinnott/Sennett Y-DNA project at familytreedna.com (PM me for more details or just look up the surname project at either familytreedna.com or one-name.org).

It would be extremely interesting if our Irish SINNOTTs have the same haplogroup (the rather rare EV13) as Pembrokeshire SINNETT and also these Pembrokeshire ROCHE with Flemish origins.   

This is the article https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/dna-project-links-pembrokeshire-man-10531657

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh DNA links to Flemish invaders - Roche, but also Sinnott etc?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
What's the "Egyptian link"? I didn't get that bit.
Cowban

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Something wrong here. Flemings were Dutch, not Vikings. a thousand years and more ago, the Vikings certainly invaded Ireland and founded Dublin. The Irish expelled most of them, Many settling Cumbria. Melvyn Bragg is proud to be one of them.

More likely Dutch protestants, 17th Century migration. My mother had two close friends, named Fleming from Ireland who came to train as nurses in the 1930's. They looked typically Dutch. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Flemish weavers settled in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire. Their mills/weaving was located up a minor road now called The Lacques on Google Maps. Alongside runs the Mackerel River (though I have seen different spellings and not more than a stream). Follow it upstream and you come to Roche, an area of Broadway on the outskirts of Laugharne. There was a castle, now ruined, but from The Lacques to Roche seems to be Flemish. On the other side of the river, is Hugden a mound owned by Laugharne Corporation and divided into agricultural strips.

I am sure there will be links between Pembrokeshire and Flemish incomers, rather than invaders, just as there is in Laugharne in the 1700s. How accurate is the DNA test? From what I have read, they are offering some strange results.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Why would S4C, want proof and fact, to stand in the way of a good story?
If you read many of the posts on the DNA section here, they are very sceptical. More so if you search on the Internet. The main reason being the limited number of UK and European participants, so the results need to be taken with more than just a pinch of salt.
Why not test the same person again, but using a different name. Send it to the same DNA tester, also use another DNA tester to see what they say. I am sure it would return other options and with a new tester, it would certainly be different. There could be a follow-up S4C programme.
If you test enough people from one area, the results will throw up some very different results, one of which you may be able to latch on to and link with an historical event.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Many farmhouses in Pembrokeshire have huge round structures, oddly,,sometimes by the front door.They are attached to the house.

They are known as Flemish chimneys.
There must have been quite a number formerly.
 I noticed them when on a visit to my son and daughter in law last September at their rented holiday home,which was near Solva.
We looked them up but not a great deal of info available.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
This is something I didn't know I didn't know. Once again I'm learning from RootsChat.

Did some of these Flemings accompany Strongbow to Ireland?

I still don't see how Vikings come into it.
Cowban

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
This is something I didn't know I didn't know. Once again I'm learning from RootsChat.

Did some of these Flemings accompany Strongbow to Ireland?

I still don't see how Vikings come into it.

If you read the article, it suggests that the Flemish became allies with Normans and joined the 1066 invasion.  They were promised land in return.    The vikings were the unruly lot that the normans (and flemish) were trying to subdue.

Yes, it would appear that some of the Flemings/Normans did go to Ireland around the time of Strongbow.  Surnames like SINNOTT and ROCHE appear in Ireland around the 12th century.