Author Topic: Mystery re Gartinardress House, nr Crossdoney: 1920-1924  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery re Gartinardress House, nr Crossdoney: 1920-1924
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 September 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Have now spoken to my cousin on the phone...
More precisely, that short newspaper report was from the Belfast Newsletter of 28th August 1920, with the headline: "Cavan Mansion Burned", and referring to the fact that it had happened on the previous Thursday night.
She now thinks that perhaps that 1924 family snap was not in fact taken outside Gartinardress House, that at some juncture the family had had the roof removed to avoid paying taxes prior to 1924, and that they had moved to Belfast, but how soon after that she is not at all sure. She wondered whether the house had been effectively destroyed by fire to prevent the (British) Military using it, by whom she was not clear.
Would there have been similar happenings in August 1920 in County Cavan, I'm wondering.  The family were Protestants in a mostly Catholic area, I believe.  William A. Knight Young was a J.P. there too, she told me.
Keith

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 September 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
Quite a few grand houses were burnt during the War of Independence.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_Irish_country_houses_(1919%E2%80%931923)
If the Military were planning on using it that it would be an obvious target.

Reading through that link it says no houses were burned in Cavan until 1921 so perhaps it simple went on fire in one of the usual ways or for a different reason, of course wiki could be incorrect.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
You probably have this already
Number 54 Young headstone inscription
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/cavan/photos/tombstones/1headstones/killeshandra-old.htm

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
Have you seem this
https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/young-family-killeshandra-area-early-1800s-0
Lakeville house is also in the townland of Gratinardress not far from Gratinardress House.
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewsite.cgi?siteid=3780

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 04:56 BST (UK) »
You probably have this already
Number 54 Young headstone inscription
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/cavan/photos/tombstones/1headstones/killeshandra-old.htm

Have already posted a link to it.  The stone is quite recent erected by Wm, Gartinardress....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 05:01 BST (UK) »
Sinann,
Thank you so much for continuing to tease out all possibilities for me.  The top link in your very last post is of extreme interest, and I will urge my cousin to perhaps get on that message board to ask the more precise questions that only she might be able to ask.
I find this whole aspect of quite recent Irish history both complicated and at the same time fascinating...
Keith
My cousin and I have a 5-times-gt-grandfather with the surname Kershaw who was one of the pioneers of Methodism in Ireland in the 18thC, but that's another branch of the family and another story, and another thread on Rootschat somewhere!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hallmark,
I'm sorry, but I'm not quite clear what you mean by your remark: "Have already posted a link to it" in your own last post on here.  The Young family does know about this very informative headstone, but perhaps there is new info that they are unaware of...

...and Dathai, have you put those incredibly detailed personal accounts of this troubled time as a sample or flavour of the activity that was going on, or is there one particular one that alludes to Gartinardress House.  I began to read the first one, and it's quite long, but nevertheless very dramatic and gripping.
Presumably these accounts have not always been in the public domain, perhaps there's some kind of 75 year or 100 year rule about open disclosure.  Can you tell me more about their origin?  Apologies again for my ignorance, but it's not an area of family research I've visited before,
But fascinating stuff, gosh!
Keith

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith    no there is no reference to Gartinadress House  it was just to let you know there was some activity in the area.