Author Topic: Ancestry don't support popular browsers  (Read 2993 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Ancestry don't support popular browsers
« on: Tuesday 25 September 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
I have noticed a stupidity in when searching in Ancestry using Microsoft Edge.

When I fail to locate sensible records, it's normal to click "Edit Search" and tweak the fields.

However, if you enter a lower-case N anywhere in many of the boxes, the entire form is cleared. Someone has hooked the keypress to the "Clear Search". Upper-case N is OK.

Having logged a fault, I received a reply which basically blames me for their incompetence.

" We apologize for the frustration this has caused.  Microsoft Edge and Apple Safari web browsers are not compatible with our website.  We recommend that you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. "

Of course, all the browsers harvest your browsing and other data to sell to advertisers, but it appears that Ancestry only play ball with the worst offenders.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry don't support popular browsers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
I use an iPad and it happens to me too. I end up trying to touch the key in a certain way or use an asterisk or hope that it will complete the word automatically.
I didn’t know the reason- am not technical enough but glad to hear it is not just me. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Might also explain why I sometimes get hints pages in French and german sometimes.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
However, if you enter a lower-case N anywhere in many of the boxes, the entire form is cleared. Someone has hooked the keypress to the "Clear Search". Upper-case N is OK.

Having logged a fault, I received a reply which basically blames me for their incompetence.

" We apologize for the frustration this has caused.  Microsoft Edge and Apple Safari web browsers are not compatible with our website.  We recommend that you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. "

I've found exactly the same issue using Chrome and Firefox. However, either it's intermittent, or it happens only in certain datasets or text boxes, and so far I haven't managed to work out exactly where the problem lies. I'm sure it's something on their site, though - I've seen other reports about it over the past few weeks.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
I'm using Edge and, without wishing to tempt fate, I've just tried to replicate the 'n' problem and nothing untoward happened.  That's on a laptop and logged in to ancestry.co.uk.

Never had different languages come up either ???

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Well I have to say that I use the Opera browser and I have never experienced any of the problems that are often reported on here.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:21 BST (UK) »

I only use Chrome and it's been happening to me too, but only very recently. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Think this is in Spanish

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Also found the form clearing suddenly. On the days it's busy doing that, it sometimes works better for me to put the place in first - maybe that's because I'm often putting "Northamptonshire" in!

And I use Firefox, and usually get told to try Chrome!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake